Grape info needed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MN Mom, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

We have a 20' X 30' 3 sided grape house out in our yard and I am wondering what kind of grapes they are.

About the 1/2" in dia. and have 3 seeds in them which are about the size of apple seeds.

Grape are a hair on the sour side. Up to now they have been mostly bird food.

We are enclosing the ends of the building for our chickens.

If you would like a look at the building go over to the poultry area for a picture.

Jon

[​IMG]

2. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

I don't know alot about grapes in general, but I do know some about wild grapes as I have them growing all over the place! Grapes don't usually get ripe until later in the season, so that may be why they are a bit sour. On the other hand they look (from the pic) and sound like they may very well be a wild type of grape and they are a tad sour even when ripe, at least the ones we have growing here are. They make a lovely grape jam/jelly thats just awesome, and many people make wine from them. I have a recipe if you're interested ;)!

Jeannine

3. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

That's a pretty tough call. 1/2" at this stage is a little on the big side for wild Vitus riparia, and it's hard to see anything at all about the leaves with all the Jap. beetle damage. It's likely to be something from Elmer Swenson, or out of the MN grape breeding program. How cold have your winters been?

4. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

This is our first summer at this house so I am not really sure what they have looked like in the past.

Winters have had some cold spells(-0F.) but we have not had much snow.

This summer started wet and then we went major dry. Most corn fields around us are 2' tall and brown.

Have to add I tried one of the most purple of the grapes and spent most of the remaining 3 hours running for the bathroom.

2 owners before us was a retired inventor who planted all our apple trees and I am guessing planted the grapes. Vines were really grown up when we bought the place.

Jon

5. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I used one of those hanging japanese beetle traps this year and it worked great. Got it at the feed store.

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

6. Steve L.

When I think of MN, I think of cold winters (-30 to -40°F), not 0°F.

If your winter lows stay above about -20°, they could be almost any hybrid (the leaves don't really look like any V. vinifera variety). If you're getting down to the -25° and below range, then they're very likely to have come from the Elmer Swenson/MN grape breeding programs.

Can you post a better pic of less damaged leaves and shoot tips?

7. Steve L.

It's a hybrid, probably with a lot of V. riparia in it, which makes it likely to be from Midwest breeding. Maybe Jim Lubby or Peter Hempsted can id. it for yo.