Grape growers please advise...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kevin and Laura, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

Okay, so I have this run of grapvines on our place. It is OLD. Measuring the old growths at the ground they measure ~11 inches average diameter. The trellacing for them is 1 inch solid iron bars set in concrete with 1/4 inch solid core copper wire strung about 1 foot off the ground, 1 foot above that and another wire bout 1 foot above the second. The trellacing has a verticle copper wire connecting accross all the horizontal wires with tight connections and runs down into the ground. I pulled one up and it was about 2 feet down into the ground. Not knowing what the old timers intentions were, I put it back in the ground. Here's my question: Anybody ever seen this before? If so what does it do?

Kevin

2. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Kevin,

Its called electro-culcher (sp) Quite popular with a lot of the older folks years ago.
    From your post you have a short wire with an insulator, your copper wire runs through the insulator just like an electric fence (in fact that is just what it is) copper wires were run down into the ground from them at the base of each plant.
    The reason for this was to give the plant a mild shock to stimulate the plant growth. I have seen this type of setup on all kinds of garden plants.
    I don’t know how will it works, but have heard both pro and con.
    It is a lot of extra work in your garden.
    Hope this helps,
    John#4

3. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

:) Judging from the size of those vines, I'd have to say that if the fence didn't help growth, it certainly didn't harm it either!

I have 1 grape vine that I planted almost 20 years ago, just as an ornamental plant. I don't think it's even half as wide as those you have, Kevin. I know you do need something permanent for support. You have an interesting set-up there. What sort of grape are they, do you know?

4. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info folks! I don't know much but I know intentional when I see it. That's why I put it back the way it was. I don't know what kind of grape they are. I know they are good to eat. :haha: Kinda sweet and kinda sour at the same time. Laura and I ate all them all standing at the vine this year (in 3 eating sessions).They are very dark in color, have a thicker skin than store bought, have one or two seeds in each, and are about the size of a dime. Come to think of it the skins were sour but without the skins they were really sweet. Any advice on what type of grape this is?

Kevin

5. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

Could be anything but sounds like a concord.