Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased some grape, and blackberry vines in small sacks. We are in zone 8. When do you plant them? I haven't bought a Farmers Almanic this year.

·
Registered
960 Posts
We are in zone 8 also. What variety did you get and from where? Ours bare root from seed companies mostly died. Still have 2 grape vines left.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why don't you folks go ask someone with grapes, for cuttings. It's a good way to meet people and they should be pruning them anyway...
lacyj
Remember, which way is up tho, and don't plant them, upside down...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We bougth from Lowes in Tyler. There still in there sacks, at the farm. I keep them in the barn. I don't remember what kind they are, but Lowes had all kind of plantings that were going quick. I guess I will have to buy an almanic to see when to plan them.

Hank - Narita said:
We are in zone 8 also. What variety did you get and from where? Ours bare root from seed companies mostly died. Still have 2 grape vines left.

·
Registered
101 Posts
East Texas Pine Rooter said:
Hi, I'm in Dallas and, having read other postings by you, I have a good idea of your general area. You can plant them now, but mulch well. Dip in rooting hormone if they don't have roots yet (willow sap is free if you have one available) and water prior to each cold snap. The water provides the plant with a better chance of survival. If we get a real cold front, cover with a sheet or blanket after watering them in before the front hits. If you're still in doubt, call your local agricultural extension agent under the government pages in your phone book. Hope this helps, Judi

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Txlightningbug: I will go plant now using your advice. I am going to put you on my buddy list, so I can get a ready answer next time. Isn't it amazing of all the replys you get to a thread, that doesn't answer the question. I think people just like to type, like I do, I guess.

East Texas Pine Rooter said:
We bougth from Lowes in Tyler. There still in there sacks, at the farm. I keep them in the barn. I don't remember what kind they are, but Lowes had all kind of plantings that were going quick. I guess I will have to buy an almanic to see when to plan them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts