grants

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

has anyone ever paid for one of those services online where for a fee they give you access to apply for government and private foundation grants? Has anyone ever got a grant from any of these sources?

You know how they advertise, grants for any need, bills, school, medical, home improvement, business, etc?

2. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

I'd be extremely skeptical of any "service" that was offering for a "fee" information about grants, programs, etc. Any number of those are a scam.

Check with your local Library. They have information in various publications which list granting, funding agencies. They also probably have websites of these places that you can access directly yourself.

All of the places offering funding have FREE info and application packets you can request. Just screen them first to see which ones are the most appropriate for your needs.

Again, I wouldn't pay any "service" to provide you with information that is available to the public at no cost.

3. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Hey,

I write grants as part of my job and those pay for fee services are nothing that a good librarian can't find for you.

What sort of area are you seeking funding for? I may have a few suggestions...

Beaux

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Furthermore, there is no such thing as "free" money... "grant" money usually requires a match or some form of social benefit.

I'd be very, very, skeptical. Sounds like a scam to me.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Give yourself a few hours and google "grants," etc. and you'll come up with all the same information. Grants aren't usually given to individuals. Federal grants definetly aren't.

6. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

I got a USDA grant last year for some home remodeling. I qualified because of age and income. Also got a USDA loan for extra work at 1% interest.

7. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

I've checked for grants for different things and have looked into getting grant money for our farm.....I haven't been able to locate grants that will aid in such things. My grandma used to say that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Be very wary!

8. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

www.nrcs.usda.gov

go alllllllllllllll the way to the end when you check this out.

PROGRESSIVE FARMER MAG. HAD AN ARTICLE IN THE LATEST ISSUE ABOUT A GRANT CALLED -EQIP- THIS WEBSITE GOES INTO OTHERS TOO.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I think those that are offering the info for a fee are mostly charging you for the time they've spent gathering the information. Of course, there will be those who are good and those who aren't...certainly a buyer beware situation.

I've been looking into grants the past couple days as well. A cousin of mine applied for and received a $3000 grant to put up a greenhouse with. It was for a woman owned business...they give out a few million annually, with $3000 being the most one person can receive. There is no payback other than a pay it forward type deal....you are obligated to help another woman owned business at some point, not financially neccessarily, could be with knowledge gained.

I think you first need to know what you're wanting the money for, as there are several grants out there but they apply to very specific areas (at least, this is what I've gathered.)