Granola recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Meg Z, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A couple people asked for it, so here it is, on a separate thread. I know granola has been on threads here and there throughout HT, with recipes, but I sure would like to see a few more added to this one, just so I can get ideas on what else to toss into mine :D

Meg :)

Granola

24 cups dry stuff. I usually use about 10 cups oatmeal, then the rest various nuts and dried fruits. Aside from the standard stuff, don’t forget shredded coconut, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cranberries….

Vary it depending on how your finances are running, and what you've grown yourself. Money-tight years get more oatmeal and wheat germ, less walnuts. This year I'm doing mostly pecans from our trees for the 'shell' nuts, and all the pears and apples I dried. I'm also adding dried cherry tomatoes on request from my hubby. They're sweeter than raisins, so why not?

Put all that in a BIG bowl.

In a large saucepan, mix:
    1 ½ cups brown sugar
    1 ½ cups water
    ¾ cup veggie oil
    ½ cup honey
    ½ cup molasses
    1 ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 tsp vanilla extract

Heat until dissolved, but don’t boil. (Yes, it looks like a lot. The original recipe had this much sugar/liquid for 15 cups dry!!)

Pour over dry stuff and mix well.

Heat oven to 300 degrees.

Spread mix on baking sheets, and bake 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add another 15 minutes for more crunch. (How many pans will Your oven hold?? :haha: )

Add chocolate or carob, if desired, when cool (I never add those)

This batch will almost fill one of those big popcorn tins you get around Christmas. Store airtight. Makes great Christmas gifts in pretty tins. I’ve got people who beg me to make it during the year, but I won’t!

Meg :)

2. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Hey Meg! Sounds a lot like mine except I put the raisins in after I bake it-keeps them softer. Theresa.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah i hold back the raisins till after baking, and about half the coconut too,
    nut wise, my family likes nuts in nearly every bite, and i find that a pound of sliced almonds does better at that than anything else. and a pound of unsweetened cocnut works better too
    we also like dates, and dried pineapple
    i get most of my fruit and granola ingredients from the bulk food store, so a lot of times it depends what they have on sale, :D
    i also add more cinnamon than you do i put in about 1 Tablespoon
    i use gordmans extra strength vanilla , so that kicks the vanilla up but ive had good results with watkins flavors too

4. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Whenever I use water in a granola recipe, I get chewy granola instead of the crunchy stuff. And cooking it longer just makes it browner -- do you do this in a gas oven, or electric??? I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I've got a recipe I now use that doesn't have any water in it, and I give out jars of it at Christmas in the Christmas baskets I do for friends. I have a friend who actually comes to the door with her jar in hand when it's empty, asking for more!

We love granola. On its own, mixed with other cereals, topping fruit or ice cream, with or without milk, as a topper to muffins or coffee cake (or apple pie, mmmmmm!) -- it's wonderful.

Tracy

5. jeafl

jeafl Active Member

Anyone know how to make granola bars? I've tried making granola several times, but I cannot get anything other that dry cereal. I'd rather have granola bars that I can take with me when I'm on the go.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

chewy or crunchy?

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

oko k , rather than wait,

chewy granola bars. easy

4 eggs
    2 cups CRUNCHY peanut butter
    1/3c honey, or maple syrup
    8 cups granola
    combine first 3 ingredients, in saucepan ( yes even the eggs) cook till bubbling
    immediately mix in the granola,
    pat into greaed pans, score and chill, when cold , finish cutting, store in freezer, take out as needed
    this makes about 2 9x13 (flat cake) pans

another one that works good, and gives more of the store texture

1 1/2 c brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    cook until bubbling
    add 4 cups of your granola, mix to coat
    spread in a greased 9x13 bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes cut while warm and let cool

another one i have says to
    taking 8 cups of granola
    add 4 cups water
    cook the granola just like thick hearty oatmeal,
    let cool ,
    add 4 eggs to it put in a greased 9x13
    and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 ,

but ive never tried that one !

crunchy ones ,
    add a bunch of granola to the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan , pour sweetened condensed milk onto it , and bake till set . never tried that either, though i do make granola cookies, simply by following a recipe for oatmeal cookies.