Granite Countertops

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Songbird, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on granite countertops here? Anybody have them and what has been your experience with them? The reason I ask is because we are moving into a smaller ranch style home because we are downsizing. We are recently retired and want to replace some very worn items in this house, including the very badly damaged laminate countertops. We want to put high quality materials into this house, since we only plan to do this once and live out the rest of our lifes here. Granite countertops strike me as a good long term choice, not to mention they are beautiful. I don't care for the black granite, but do like the medium colors combination of brown, beige, with little flecks of dark grey/black in it. Any info on granite countertops from anyone here would be much appreciated. Thanks very much. :)

2. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I'm no pro, but did do research on this just last year. We ended up going with Cambria quartz. Granite needs a sealer put on it periodically, otherwise some spills can stain it (e.g., red wine). The quartz never needs sealing. Maybe not a big factor to you, but HUGE factor to me because I have dh!!

The quartz cost a little more than the granite, too, but we splurged because it will be the last time in our lives that we'll replace countertops. Glad we did, I just love them!

http://www.cambriausa.com/design_palette.cfm

For color, we have Windsor. Sounds like you might like Windsor or Victoria.

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I love them! If we ever re-do the kitchen, I would love to put some granite counter-tops in. :)

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I've looked into them, and also would pass because of the staining factor. They are beautiful though! I think when we replace ours, I'll go with the quartz or Corian.

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

In our last house we totally re-did the kitchen. We were going to put in granite but when we researched our options we chose Corian instead. The main reasons:
    Corian is easy to repair if it chips or cracks
    Corian doesn't hold bacteria like granite can
    Corian doesn't need to be sealed
    Corian doesn't stain as easily

Granite countertops are absolutely gorgeous, but for logevity, maintenance, and health, I'd choose the Corian again.

6. Auntie Kathy

Auntie Kathy Well-Known Member

My husband and my son fabricates and installs natural stone countertops and I love granite.

I have granite countertops, mine do not stain. It depends on the color. The darker the color the more dense the stone, the lighter colors can stain this is true. Marble on the other hand stains pretty bad. I don't have any problems at all with my granite and believe it or not it is possible to fix if it gets chipped.

Corian is nice but it can stain and it can get burn marks. I can take a hot pot right from my stove and set it on top of my granite and it will not get burn marks. Corian is OK but to me it's just not the same as the original stone with the patterns that were naturally made right from the earth. Every slab is unique.

7. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

One of my best friends had either granite or quartz--I'm not sure which. They are beautiful, but she said she would never get them again because every time you set something (mug, plate, spoon, etc.) down on them they make a loud noise, unless you are very, very careful. Everytime someone makes a loud noise, it wakes up her little daughter. The sound didn't really bother me much, but I guess if you have to live with it all the time, especially with small kids, it could get very annoying.

8. MtnGranny

MtnGranny Well-Known Member

I put in Silestone quartz countertops last year. Love it and is very easy to clean.

9. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Mrs oz works in the ceramic tile/stone business.

Synthetic countertops are also sold.

Ther eis a good reason those that can afford them buy real stone.

Do NOT ever put anything hot on Corian,etc.

We have honed black granite countertops in this house,quite nice looking and not as much worry in regards scratching.

We will be putting stone in our place in NC both on the floor and the countertops.

10. rockinl

rockinl Well-Known Member

I put granite in my bathroom last summer. There is a place here (Oklahoma City) and if you give them your measurements, they cut them and you can pick them up. I was able to give them my dimensions and pick my color and then they waited until they had a "scrap" piece from a larger job, and cut mine from it saving me mucho dinero. :)

It is beautiful and is in a high-traffic bathroom ( the only one working right now!)

I sealed it and just wipe it down. I wouldn't know about having it in the kitchen, but I would LOVE to!!

Good Luck, Kimberly

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What do you seal it with and how often do you have to do it?

12. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

In our old house, we put tiles on the laminate and grouted and did a backsplash also. It was heatproof, but grout can be a pain - especially if you actually use your kitchen.

So, when we built a modular last year i wanted heat proof counters - i wanted either tile (which would be cost effective but with upkeep) or granite. Hubby didn't want maintenance of tile/grout. I got the granite - we chose green hawaiian - it's dark green with cranberry bits in it and it actually has bits of other specs in it that you can see upclose. I LOVE it.

It's a dream to have all that countertop and take a huge turkey roastpan or such out of the oven and plop it down on the counter. I put my pizza stones out of a 500 degree oven and put them on it - no problems yet with scratches, etc.

My SIL has had hers for years and raves about it still.

Expensive - yes, ours almost went too over the budget, but we won't have to replace it.

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

14. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I want concrete countertops, but with this house I am going back with Formica, I like it and find it meets my needs, spending 10,000 to redo a kitchen is not something I want to do. We will do the work ourselves and I am doing tile backsplashes and will put in a marble square for my bread work.

15. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

As Oz told you all, I am in the biz. Maybe I'm a purist..........but I just LOVE granite. The main upside I see for people with quartz is the consistency in color. Most granites have quite a bit of movement.......so if you want a more uniform pattern then quartz may be for you. As far as bacteria....the following statement is straight from some stone info I have.....Bacteria, like any other living organism, needs something
    to eat in order to live. Bacteria cannot eat granite. Unclean,
    unkempt countertops can harbor bacteria regardless of what
    countertop material is used. Granite has performed extremely well
    in testing; performing second only to stainless steel in its ability to
    resist bacterial growth.

So, don't let that stop you. Go with what fits your budget and what fits your design ideal. As far as sealing.........your main kitchen work tops should probably be sealed once per year if you go with the granite. Not a difficult task at all. Put on with a cloth or sponge; buff off what doesn't get absorbed by the granite.