Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Oh what a great joy this is gonna be!!!! Great age too! I can only WISH that my grandsons would come live with me. Their parents don't have it together either.
When I moved to this house recently, that put me 5 minutes from them, and I usually pick them up Sunday morning and keep them till 7:00 or so. There's 4 of them (well the oldest one is with my ex, which isn't good either) They are 12, 10, 9, 7, and 6. All boys!!!!! They bring me a lot of happiness. :)

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Going to zoos and pet a pet farms. Libraries often have scheduled story times and educational activities. At 4 he should have his numbers and alphabet down pat so if not, you two could work on those.

Making popcorn and watching DVDs movies and nature shows. Camping outside in a tent before it gets too cold. Hot dog and marshmallow roasts. There are so many opportunities for fun and learning.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then summerdaze, you may just the person to ask.

Is it customary for a 4 yr old to climb on the seat, squat down with feet on the seat and wizz? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Well then sunnerdaze, you may just the person to ask.

Is it customary for a 4 yr old to climb on the seat, squat down with feet on the seat and wizz? :shrug:
I babysat for a boy that did that, and found out its how he was potty trained at pre school, it keeps the pee in the toilet so I was told, they can hold on to the sides of the toilet and not have to hold on to the peeer

OH and make sure you have your house child proofed they get into all kinds of stuff STILL.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the main reasons why I bought the cottage in PA.was for family times. It has land to explore and water to play in, all kinds of animals come along. He loves it there.

He is coming to live with me in MA. I live with a roommate in an over 55 mobile home park. Very different environment for the little guy. I will be arranging daycare while I work. I wish it didn't have to be this way.Would love to just stay home with him but I can't.

Actually I think it will be great for him to be around other kids his age, I just hope all the changes aren't to hard on the lil guy.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Well then sunnerdaze, you may just the person to ask.

Depends. Is this something he just started doing, or has he always had little Issues? If he's always been a bit of a handful, well, kids will only do what they can get away with. If parents don't spend enough time with them, or turn a blind eye to this kind of stuff, then you'll have to deprogram him.

But sometimes when kids are going through a rough time, and they're a bit traumatized by what they see and hear going on between their parents, there can be some very unique ways their stresses come out.

When I first started spending lots of time with mine, after a long absence, the 10 yr old was very disconnected. He pulled away from everybody, and would pretty much ignore what was going on around him, with minimal eye contact, and conversation.

The 9 yr old during certain times (like if he's timid about asking a question) will talk in baby talk. He's better now, but he still does it.

The 7 yr old has some little things going on, but none that I would attribute to extreme stress.

The 6 yr old was very destructive. He was the one who broke things A LOT. And he knows better. He's very bright.

Now I am seeing real change with these guys. The 10 yr old is engaged, and when I come to pick him up, I hear him say "Mamaw's here!!!" He's quite mature for his age, and I let him make some decisions, (like picking out books for his brothers) and have been giving him more responsibilities, which he seems to like.

The youngest one hasn't torn up anything in quite a while now. One time he took all the price stickers I had for a garage sale, and plastered them all over the walls. of the bedroom. I told him he needed to peel every one of those off. He thought I was gonna help him, and it was all funny till he realized I wasn't kidding, HE was going to do it.
If he scribbles in a book, HE will take an eraser and remove it. And so on. He knows that actions have consequences.

They are all pretty fast learners. They know that Grandma DOES NOT reward for bad behavior. Things are getting better all the time, and they're such neat little guys! The little one is a pistol, but he has SUCH a big heart! We cook together, go to the playground every week, play games, watch movies, etc.
You're really going to enjoy your boy there Roadless, but it might be quite the challenge, and you're gonna have to pay the price, but it will so be worth it! :kiss: to you

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Biggest problem with mine right now is he keeps taking stuff apart to see how it works. Toys, remotes, radios, you name it. We've been building with blocks and doing lots of puzzles, which really seems to satisfy his urge to create and destroy lol.
My son is always with me if I'm using tools too. This kid can actually put screws in a wall with a drill and use a hammer already. With supervision of course.
But he could care less about coloring.
He does love to cook.
I read to him, which he loves. But then he also likes to take the books and read to me from memory.
He loves animals. Earlier today he caught a frog and named it peeper. We have a lot of animal discussions.
And he also goes running through the house regularly doing karate moves and being Spider-Man shooting pretend webs everywhere.
I believe he's pretty typical lol.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
What a shot of energy he will bring. Curiosity and a want to learn are huge at that age. Enjoy it. Hopefully your 55+ area won't have problems with him living there. My Moms will only let anyone stay for a free days.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Echoesechos, if this had happened 6 months ago it would have been a problem.

A single mother died leaving 3 children. The grandmother and uncle live here and of course took in the children.
A lawsuit was filed by some neighbors stating the age requirements and wanted the children to go.
When gathering information for the lawsuit it was found that whatever was supposed to happen to legally have an age limit for the park, didn't so the children stayed.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Can't help with the potty training. Mine killed the shrubs in front of the porch seeing who could put out the imaginary fire in front of the house. When I could get them to use indoor plumbing, they stood up, and sometimes even hit the correct target. If you can ingrain a joy of reading (and get him off the TV), that would be a lifelong gift that would pay huge dividends. A four year old may be able to read, although I've seen girls do it more than boys. One of mine started at that age, but the other was a little too hyper and learned later.

Have fun today.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts