Grains for milking cows

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ozark_jewels, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Those of you who do not feed a "commercial" cow feed, but feed whole grains to your milk cows, what do you use?? Thanks,

2. Rick Allen

Rick Allen Well-Known Member

We mix 1 part ground soy beans (45% protein) to:
    3 parts ground corn (9% protein).

This makes a 17% protein mix for our dairy cows. It is also lower in fiber then
    rolled corn. I think the lower fiber makes it easier for cows to extract protein and energy. Our cows eat plenty of grass and get enough fiber from it.

One of my goals is to make the feed last the whole time we're milking. That is another reason I like fine groung feeds. They can't eat it as fast. I also chop 3 or 4 chunks off the mineral bloc with an axe and put the chunks in the bucket with the feed. This slows them down more and they end up licking the mineral chunks as an added benefit.

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

COB=corn, oats, barley, with molasses in it, 50# bags cost $7.50 in our area; haven't gone up in price in the 5 years I've been buying it. She also gets small pelleted alfalfa.

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We put rolled high moisture corn in the silo, about 300 tons. Should start this week if it ever stops raining. Then a custom supplement with soymeal and dried corn distillers.

5. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Ground barley, whole oats,linseed meal or sunflower pieces- for protein,alfalfa or brome & barley pellets.

6. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

Almost the same as arcticow.. We mix barley, oats, wheat bran, linseed oil meal, and some molassas.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I have a cornmeal, soy meal, bakery biproducts with some wheat middlings, and molasses. Get a 18.5% mix, .70MCAL. Had Cargill mix it up, very very impressive mix. Finely ground and they go nuts over it.

Jeff

8. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Dale I realize Mother Nature don't always cooperate, LOL...but what range of moisture content is optimum for putting HMC in the Silo?...and how much moisture can you get away with?

9. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

23-28% works good, we can go up to about 32

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks to all who answered!!