Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Hmmm I'm sure they must be rented out somewhere. Is it a silo or a grain bin? The value of grain bins will depend on what they are capable of doing. Some will have slotted floors and fans for airation, it doesn't sound like yours does. It sounds like a silo for silage by the size actually. What's it made of? I would guess if it has to be cleaned out and made ready there is a bit of work ahead of the renter. You'll want to make sure there's no mess left where you don't want it and the silo/bin has to be maintained. I'm not sure what you should charge but cover your butt and cover your costs. The cleaning work has value to you so maybe year one rent is the cleaning of it? Silage can spoil in a silo and you don't want to be at fault for its value. Get whatever you decide in writing!!! See what he's offering, around here grain bins and silos are a dime a dozen.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
http://www.ottilieseed.com/Reference/CRIBBINSILO.htm Might give you an idea what your beast has for capacity. If it is a silo and it holds roughly 400 tons that's about equal to 3 ag bags and they cost about $600 (USD, here at least) each to buy and fill. So $1800 is what bagging should cost equal to your silos capacity storing silage. Now it is very convenient to have bags right there and he won't have to drive to get his feed or to store it compared to renting yours so maybe half that as rent?? Just a guess!!

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Might lower your taxes to sell it. I can think of three types of concrete tower silos. The most common is a stave silo, they are made of preformed slabs that form an interlocking ring and are bound with a steel wrap around rod. There are cast silos that are one huge concrete tube (I guess there are mortared block versions of these solid silos too) and then there are cast solid and air tight sealed silos. The only one you can sell is the stave silo. If yours is an airtight then it would rent for more! It may have a silo unloader in the bottom or it may have one in the top (possably suspended at the top! Both could have been sold off too. If you don't have either it would lower what the rent is worth. I hate shoveling down silage!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.