Grain silo rent?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sarah J, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have a grain silo that has been un-unsed since we moved in 4 1/2 years ago. We didn't have any livestock at the time and still only have a *small* number of animals. We don't use it. There is no power to it, as far as we can tell, though there used to be. It is currently about 1/3 full of composted materials - whatever *used* to be in it...

My question is this: how much would it be worth to rent to someone? Is it even possible to use it (after cleaning, obviously) without the power to it? It's about 75 feet tall and 15+ feet in diameter (guestimate). It's one of the biggest in our area.

But I had a man stop by earlier today while I was gone and my help said he'd be back to talk with me...and I haven't a clue as to what to tell him! Help?!?

-Sarah

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hmmm I'm sure they must be rented out somewhere. Is it a silo or a grain bin? The value of grain bins will depend on what they are capable of doing. Some will have slotted floors and fans for airation, it doesn't sound like yours does. It sounds like a silo for silage by the size actually. What's it made of? I would guess if it has to be cleaned out and made ready there is a bit of work ahead of the renter. You'll want to make sure there's no mess left where you don't want it and the silo/bin has to be maintained. I'm not sure what you should charge but cover your butt and cover your costs. The cleaning work has value to you so maybe year one rent is the cleaning of it? Silage can spoil in a silo and you don't want to be at fault for its value. Get whatever you decide in writing!!! See what he's offering, around here grain bins and silos are a dime a dozen.

3. Ross

http://www.ottilieseed.com/Reference/CRIBBINSILO.htm Might give you an idea what your beast has for capacity. If it is a silo and it holds roughly 400 tons that's about equal to 3 ag bags and they cost about $600 (USD, here at least) each to buy and fill. So $1800 is what bagging should cost equal to your silos capacity storing silage. Now it is very convenient to have bags right there and he won't have to drive to get his feed or to store it compared to renting yours so maybe half that as rent?? Just a guess!!

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

This is a silo - big concrete thing. Completely un-usable by me, but was obviously used in the past before we moved in. I am thinking I should contact the previous owners and find out if the equipment should be in working order or if they took it or some of the parts out first. Not something I was every concerned about so didn't care one way or the other. Someone on one of the other forums suggested that I sell it and have them move it...not sure about that as it is actually almost one full side of my barn and I'd have to replace that!

He didn't come back last night to talk with me so i'm not certain what he wants to use it for yet. We'll see if he returns, but it still has me wondering! :)

-Sarah

5. Ross

Might lower your taxes to sell it. I can think of three types of concrete tower silos. The most common is a stave silo, they are made of preformed slabs that form an interlocking ring and are bound with a steel wrap around rod. There are cast silos that are one huge concrete tube (I guess there are mortared block versions of these solid silos too) and then there are cast solid and air tight sealed silos. The only one you can sell is the stave silo. If yours is an airtight then it would rent for more! It may have a silo unloader in the bottom or it may have one in the top (possably suspended at the top! Both could have been sold off too. If you don't have either it would lower what the rent is worth. I hate shoveling down silage!