Grain screenings

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, May 9, 2006.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

What are grain screenings? Can I use them for chicken and goat feed? How much is good price per truckload lots delivered? The screeenings are sunflower, millet, milo and corn.

2. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Screenings are what's left after grain is cleaned..as far as I know, as long as the grain screenings have been processed and rated, there's no reason not to use good quality screenings. Prices are regional and dependent upon not only distance and load, but also the actual quality of the product..just as anything else. Beware of buying unprocessed screenings..lots of weed seed,and whole grain which is unavailable for absorption/nutrition.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the time it is good feed. There will be weed seeds, and it is possible rodent droppings which would be not so good. Different years will provide different levels of quality - in wet damp years can be more dmaged kernals, in dry years could be more chaff, light weight shriveld kernals, and so forth.

But generally it is the chaff & broken kernals & so forth from cleaning grain, and it has, perhaps, 2/3 or more the feed value. Likely it will be tested & quoted a price to make it near the same value of regular feed - say it is 7/8 the energy & protien of regular feed, it will likely cost around 7/8th's of regular feed.

--->Paul

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Good hog feed, but I'd be leary of feeding it to poultry and goats. It could have screenings from corn that got moldy in storage. May not cause any problems, but the possibility is there.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'd be hesitant to feed them to anything sensitive to mold without seeing a mycotoxin survey first.

.....Alan.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There has to be some quality there. I feed corn screenings and I'd say Paul has it about right. I feed it to sheep and chickens but there is no mold. Better not be it comes from the neighbors drier I help run!