Grain Prices$$$$$ Ration Mix

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chrisl, Dec 24, 2006.

1. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Just curious what grain mix does everyone feed. Not pelleted or out of the bag ration, but local mill mix. I'm looking for something different and to offset the cost of high grain prices. Corn and Oats set a record here on friday. Thanks
    Chris

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I know it's terrible $9 a bag for oats! $7 for corn! I just feed a loose horse/cow mineral, alfalfa hay and pellets free choice. I mix my own grain just 4 parts oats, 2 parts corn, 1 part black oil sunflower seeds.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I'm feeding a mix of barley, oats, corn and BOSS. Mostly barley and oats.

4. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

I paid $13 for a fifty pound bag of whole oats- always been high here. The price has been going up gradually for the last year. I figured shipping since we are so far from grain producers- I hope your posts don't mean there's another price increase coming.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

On the advice of a couple of posters here, I've moved from goat mix to horse mix. You'll have to look around at a mix that meets your needs, I'm using a senior blend, no molasses, that's about 10%, with biotin and yeast in the mix. Basically a dry cob with much less corn in the mix. It's about $7.50 per 50 lbs, cheaper than goat or dairy mixes by $2 because they simply sell so much of it (big horse country here), and it's way more consistent than what I was using before. The goats absolutely love it. Mine is milled by Country Blend, a local to oregon distributor. I'm not currently feeding much grain as none of my girls is in milk and only a couple are due before April. Right now they're on alfalfa pellets (3 lbs per adult) and free choice grass hay, loose minerals, and sweetlix meatmaker blocks.

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I currently pay $7.99 for a 50# bag of COB. I was told by the guy at the feed store that the reason the grain prices are going up is that alot of the grain is being purchased by folks using it to produce biodeisel and other biofuels. I hope that means the price of fuel will go down if out gas will be mixed with biofuels.

7. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

That's funny, Doc, because I feed my senior horse Show Goat! After comparing labels I realized that I was paying twice the price for basically the same product, and I could never keep Garnet out of the goat's feeder - she just liked it better. So, I'm feeding both the goats and the horse a combination of Purina Show Goat, wet COB, rice bran and beet pulp, alfalfa pellets and free choice alfalfa and grass hays. Goats get BOSS added to their ration, and free choice loose mineral, baking soda and kelp (separate feeders for each supplement).

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Many, what do use for a "feeder" for kelp? I have a mineral/soda feeder, but wondered about the kelp.

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Doc, I just use the same feeders I use for the baking soda at this point. They are hard rubber, small double bins, mounted on the wall of the barn. I think I got them from Jeffers. I'm planning on making some of the PVC feeders for the minerals and soda, but the amount of kelp fed is pretty small, so I'll probably keep using the little feeders for it.

I'm curious as to where in OR you live (general area). We pay throught he nose for senior feed up here (nearly $20 per 50# last time I checked, vs about $9 for Show Goat). If I was able to get the senior feed at your price, and it wasn't TOO far away, I'd be going to pick up a couple ton. :)

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There is little to no real grains especially whole grains in show chows, goat feed would also not have anywhere near the nice minerals in them compared to horse grains of the same price. Comparing whole grains...corn oats barley in a dry horse mix to a byproducts feed tag is no where near the same stuff...just because it says 16% protein 3% fat and 4 % roughage, getting to those percentages is done with what byproducts...a huge difference between a goat with 4 stomachs and a horse with 1.

My equine dry mix I use went up over $9, so we moved the soybean oil out of it to rice bran, same fat percentage with a little more roughage, and the price went under $8. The next move will be to just whole oats and rice bran (much cheaper than BOSS). Right now with everyone dry, we don't start back on grain until mid January at 100 days pregnant, so no grain is being fed, a huge savings which offsets no milk sales! Even feeding grain the last 50 days of pregnancy kills me with no income coming in from milk. Vicki

11. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

I purchase my feed from a local feed mill "Performance Livestock"

Their Sheep and Goat mix is about $4.75 for a 50 lb bag when I purchased 2 weeks ago. I pick it up from the mill not one of their bag dealers.

Scratch feed for the chickens (corn, oats & barley) is $5.50 per 50 lb bag.

http://www.performancefeedco.com/

12. Oldntimes

Oldntimes Well-Known Member

can you get a bag of Corn. and bag of Oats and a Bag of barley and mix it to make a complete feed mix??

If so, how many parts of each would go into the mix, I would assume a much higher ratio of oats as to corn and barley?
    Also what kind of barley Steamed Rolled Barley?
    Fat Horse oats?
    Which kind of corn is best?
    Of course loose minerals free choice, and BOSS and Alfalfa Pellets.
    I hear so much about COB I was wondering If I should just mix it my self but was not sure if that would be a complete diet for dairy goats, and was not sure how many parts of each I should mix :help:

13. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

My mix I get from the feed mill that I made up is about $92 for 765lbs so that's what..... a little over $6 per 50lbs? It's Corn, Oats, bean meal, beet pulp, goat minerals and molasses. All look great on it so far.