grain mill

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by djuhnke, May 2, 2005.

1. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Any idea's on a cheaper way to grind corn (not cracked) for pigs? I bought a grain grinder from www.northerntool.com for $10 and its fine if you have some time to kill and want abit of an arm workout. I was just hoping if someone knew of a cheaper powered mill (cheaper than the $200 versions I've seen). Thanks.

Dan

2. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

10.00??? Don't know how you managed that!

If it's for a hog then forget it ... unless you have a lot more time on your hands than I do. Electric ... forget it unless you really want to spend the money. I had a good electric and it took forever and was almost literally a daily chore. Spend the money or soak it every night and feed whole. I've gone thru the same delema ... believe me I know. Actually I still am. I want a good one that'll run thru corn pretty good.
    Keep watching ebay ... maybe something will catch your eye.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Look for a used hammermill. You should be able to find one that runs off a tractor pto at a decent price.

4. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

Why not mount a scavanged electric motor from a washing machine or something similar to your hand cranked grinder? You could use reducing pulleys to step the speed down.

Never underestimate the power of a scrap yard!