Grain mill

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Any ideas or plans for building a grain mill. I purchaced some pigs and would like to grind my own grains. The guy I bought them off had a small mill set up and it looks fairly simple.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

small grain grinders are easy to come by . we even have one sitting waiting for someone to take it home!pig screen and all, we came across a grinder mixer that suits our needs better .tracter powered and wheeled.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:) We have a Hammer mill that is run by our tractor too...we only do one bag of wheat and one of barley and corn and because it does it so fine it lasts so much longer. Also cheaper to feed chooks crushed wheat than buying layers pellets...wheat has whatever the protein level is that they require to lay. We also put baled lucerne in it for the goats...comes out a bit stalky but the goats love it. :)

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If it's a hammer mill you want then remember you'll be spinning those hammers very fast. I'd use an old factory built before I trusted a home made one. Roller mills are just two heavy rollers that are set so far apart (adjustable) and are either smooth for small grain or ribbed for corn. You'd probably want to look for factory ribbed rollers, unless you're a machinest. Both of these mill types sell pretty cheap at auctions.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been looking to buy a roller or hamer mill for over 5 years and can't find one in my area (southeastern Washington). If anyone knows of one in my area let me know.

Appreciate any help.

BobG