Grain grinders ... steel burrs to stones

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me if grinders with steel burrs are OK to grind feed corn? I'm looking at a Magic Mill II. Thanks a lot, Mike

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yes, I use mine all the time for it.

To clarify, mine is NOT a magic mill, but it does have steel burrs and does just fine.

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is not a Magic Mill either but I use the steele burrs, too.
    I even went so far as to buy the stone ones to go in it because I had read so much about "stone grinding". Unfortunately, I can't get the dang screws loose to replace the steel burrs. So, we have successfully used the steele ones off and on for about 10 years.....
    Tana Mc

5. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

the only downside of steel burrs is that with the friction of grinding, some small amount (think parts per million?... trillion?) of steel will end up in your product. fortunately, steel is made up almost entirely of iron and carbon. neither are toxic, in fact, a small amount of iron in the diet is essential. my grinder has iron burrs, but i don't think it gives me as much iron as i need. i think i've got that covered with liver and onions once a month or so.

pax
    t.f.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember reading that some ancient peoples had badly worn teeth because of the minute stone bits that were in the stone ground flour that they ate.

Just another thing to consider.