Grain feeding does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you manage your Does? Do grain feed year round? During winter when feeding hay? Only during flushing and lactating?
    We are feeding a grassy hay during winter. We feed about 1 pound of grain to lactating does, a little more for twins. We also creep feed te kids.
    I just read an article where the author feeds little grain to the doe. But creep feeds. Weans around 8 weeks. He states it makes the kid eat younger, more. Eaiser to dry off the does.
    I have 5 does with single kids. I want to rebreed them by the of January. The youngest kid would be 6 weeks.

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I feed all my does grain, hay give lots of fresh clean water, loose goat minerals all year round. They do get browse during the spring summer and fall plus some in winter but when winter gets here they don't have as much browse so I give them lots of hay with all the other things to eat.

Good Luck on your goats. :)

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

My goats TELL ME when the grain is to be served.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

My dairy does get grain for the final month and half of pregnancy and on through their lactation. They only get a bit in the last 6-7 weeks of pregnancy, but I up the amount when they are milking. Kids get some grain(not creep fed), but they have alfalfa pellets in front of them most of the time.
    My Boers are a different matter. They get very little grain while nursing kids and then when the kids are weaned, they get no grain till they are fresh again. They do get an alfalfa pellet ration while they are pregnant....but if they get grain anytime but when they are lactating....they just get fat.

5. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

I feed them some grain all year round. Not every day, but every thirdday or so during the summer. This keeps them happy to se me, and always come quickly when called. I grow most of my own grain, so it isn't much of an expense to me. I also tend to give less grain to the bred does than most. I've found that they will throw kids a little smaller, but a lot easier. After the kids are born, they have full access to grain via the creep feeder. Also, at this point the mothers get more also. Any size shortage at birth will be quickly made up for with extra milk, and no bitrhing problems. Mike

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats get grain the year round. The does get more when they are being milked. After being dried up, they get a small ration of grain along with alfalfa hay and pellets.

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

This is probably one of those things that everyone does a little differently. Our milk girls have grain when they are nursing and/or on the milk stand. The boer girls have grain AFTER they birth. I'm like the person who said the boers would get too big. The moms don't have troubles kidding and the kids take off and grow like beans.

I personally do not and probably would not wean at 6 weeks. Keeping them on mom suits our purpose better. And I know you want to turn them around quick...but having them settled in Jan. might prove tough..could happen..but might be Feb. instead.

Good luck!

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i guess there is no clear answer to your question. i have dairy goats and expect them to milk. they get a dry grain mix the last two month of pregnancy and when they are milking. i also feed alfa pellets and alfa/grass hay mix.
    for me it sounds like you have meat goats. good quality meat goats should not need any grain but good quality hay and browse.
    i would never wean my kids early because they need the calcium from the milk for strong bone development. they are supoused to live a long live. meatgoats may be different as you want them ready to be butchered with couple of month old. if i would have a meat goat herd i probably would feed my replacement stock (most of the doe kids) differetly.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have miniatures and, new this year, two dairy goats.

My miniatures get 1/4 cup grain a day during winter and a flake of hay each, every day. young kids less than 6 months get the 1/4 cup grain a day, and 1/2 a flake per day (but I've always had two young kids at a time, so this was easy to do. :)) The does, when being flushed for breeding season, I gradually increase them to 1 cup a day, which is where they're at right now. (breeding season here is Janruary-March) After the doe is confirmed bred, she is weaned back down to the 1/4 cup a day feeding. Mind you, these are miniatures, mostly pygmy with a little nigerian in the background. Kids stop getting grain at 6 months of age if they are growing well. During summer they get no grain unless they are lactating, and they get hay according to how thier pasture looks... The more browse, the less hay they get and whatnot.

The dairy does (alpines) are getting 1/2 cup a day for the winter season, and both are pregnant. One is due in March, the other due in April. They will also get an increase a month and a half before kidding, probably topping out around kidding time at 2 cups. After kidding, the doe will probably get a lb of grain a day, plus 1/4 a lb for every quart of milk given, per day. I haven't yet figured out how much a cup of grain weighs, lol. The does will also have free eat of alfalfa pellets while in the stand.

10. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

my pygmies get grain all year round. I give them only a small amount when dry but up it when pregnant then down again once they are a month away from kidding - this keeps birth weight low and makes for easier kidding I am told.

I had dairy goats and they were only dry for a few months (2) at a time so at that time they went down to aprox 1 cup of grain twice a day. During milking they received 1 coffee can's worth of grain twice a day at milking time.

yup everyone has different goats and does things differently. I think it depends on the kind of hay they get, how much during the day and the weather you have as well.

11. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

What kind of goats do you have?

Our dairy goats get grain when they are milking and the last 50 or so days of pregnancy.

Our fainting goats (technically meat goats) only get a handful of grain, more as a bribe then anything. And a little extra late in pregnancy and when they are nursing kids. But they pretty much get by with hay and browse. Then again, that's what they're bred to do. The dairy goats wouldn't do well in those circumstances, so it depends on what kind of goats.