Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to pg.149 of the 60th Anniversary edition of the encyclopedia of country living, "Where to buy field grain seed: The cheapest seed source would probably be your local grain elevator. ask around and find a "seedsman" who wholesales grain, hay, and other field crop seeds to farmers"

Is there any grain elevators open to the public?

Have you ever seen a "seedsman"?

Does growing grain from feed stores actually work?

·
Premium Member
44,525 Posts
Growing grains from feed stores does “work”. The problem comes in knowing what variety of grain your getting. You’ll normally be better off to buy from a seed dealer or a farmer who knows what variety he’s raising. Once your started you can save seed from one year to the next.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Growing grains from feed stores does “work”. The problem comes in knowing what variety of grain your getting. You’ll normally be better off to buy from a seed dealer or a farmer who knows what variety he’s raising. Once your started you can save seed from one year to the next.
So part of pg.149 lied to its readers that the cheapest seed source comes from a grain elevator or a "seedsman"?
What does grain grown from a feed store taste like?

·
Registered
42,449 Posts
This applies to most commercially grown seed.

Many private and public wheat varieties are protected from unauthorized replanting by the Plant Variety Protection Act (PVPA) and/or United States patent.​
Seed produced from a patented variety cannot be planted for any purpose, including nontraditional uses.​
PVPA-protected seed cannot be sold, advertised, offered, delivered, consigned, exchanged, or exposed for sale without permission from the proprietary seed owner.​

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
According to pg.149 of the 60th Anniversary edition of the encyclopedia of country living, "Where to buy field grain seed: The cheapest seed source would probably be your local grain elevator. ask around and find a "seedsman" who wholesales grain, hay, and other field crop seeds to farmers"

In my province, you would need to purchase in volume if you were to purchase from a 'seedsman' and grain elevators purchase grain from farmers in order to fill high volume orders to be shipped by rail to ports.

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
So part of pg.149 lied to its readers that the cheapest seed source comes from a grain elevator or a "seedsman"?
What does grain grown from a feed store taste like?
Nobody lied to anybody although the information presented would depend on where you live.

It would taste like the type and grade of grain you purchased. If you purchase feed grade barley seed, you're going to grow barley suitable for feeding livestock but if you grow a higher grade barley, it would be more suitable for domestic use. The same applies for wheat, it all tastes like wheat but not all types of wheat are best suited for making flour.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody lied to anybody although the information presented would depend on where you live.

It would taste like the type and grade of grain you purchased. If you purchase feed grade barley seed, you're going to grow barley suitable for feeding livestock but if you grow a higher grade barley, it would be more suitable for domestic use. The same applies for wheat, it all tastes like wheat but not all types of wheat are best suited for making flour.
So what's the point of growing grain from a feed store when it's not for human consumption?

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
What's a "seedsman" doing in the age of online shopping?
My neighbours decide what they want to grow, calculate how much seed they will need, make the phone call and either arrange for trucking or their seed source will include the cost of transport in their bill.

My brother in law wanted to purchase some wheat a couple years ago and I called a couple farmers that grew wheat, asked if they had what he was looking for (non patended) and I drove out, filled a couple pails, paid the farmer what he thought it was worth and delivered it within an hour.

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Is feed grain fit for human consumption?
So what's the point of growing feed grain for human consumption?
Generally, yes, it is fit for human consumption, but it might not be the most marketable types available.

The feed vs food equivalent in corn is Sweet Corn (human food) vs Dent Corn (animal feed). When you buy corn seed from the grainery or farm store, you can choose either but, when you buy animal feed from the farm supply, it’s going to be Dent Corn, and when you buy “corn” from the grocery store, it’s going to be Sweet Corn.

My grandfather was born in 1931, in Kentucky, on what was very much a real “homestead”. Corn was one of his favorite foods, but he never ate sweet corn until sometime in his early 40s. When they grew corn, they grew one variety, and the livestock and family all ate it.

If you grew sweet corn and tried to sell it to ranchers, they’re probably not going to want it because it’s more expensive and sweeter than what they want for their livestock. If you grew dent corn and tried to at a grocery store, no one is going to want it because there will be “better tasting” varieties right next to it.

If you have corn after SHTF, nobody is going to care what kind it is, they’re all going to want to eat it, people and animals alike.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
46,098 Posts
Jerry, please remember that the Encyclopedia of Country Living wasn’t written recently. Times change. Call the statement a lie is inaccurate if you understand the historical context.

The original version of the book was written before GMO grains existed.

I have doubts that you would ever need to buy bulk grain for planting. This conversation is likely just mental gymnastics.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts

seedsman = seed company representative

yes I know a few not as many of them as there used to be.

a friends dad was a Mallard Seed dealer Mallard was a brand , there are lots of seed brands some regional
my little garden truck I keep around was a Mallard seed corn dealer he would drive around meet with farmers and take their seed orders then drive around and deliver 50pound sacks of seed corn in the little truck

there are a lot fewer people planting small acerage any more so if they want bagged seed they need to drive to the dealer now rather than get delivery

does seed from a mill grow , well you eat , yes since about 99.9% of seed grown comes from a mill

you may be thinking of a Mill as a place that grinds grain for food for human consumption , many more are grinding for animal feed , and some are storage and but grain local as the harvest happens then store and sell to the market as prices fluctuate.

so replace the word Mill with Store and Broker

so a Mill in farm country is a store that can sell at retail or wholesale any variety of grain , feed and mineral products many also sell herbicides, pesticides , order in day old chicks from hatcheries some you can buy gas , oil and tools from others have implement dealerships as well.

Jerry I wish you could travel out of LA on a trip across the USA and experience some of the rest of the country with a good guide , your mind would be so blown how life is outside a city.
honestly a lot of city people need an education on how things actually work.

this is a seed dealer what it looks like
most everything is in totes now to cut labor

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
So what's the point of growing feed grain for human consumption?
Jerry you need to understand about 10% of grain is to feed people grain products like cereal and bread the rest is used to make animal feed they eat pounds a day where you hardly even eat pounds a week. there is hundreds possibly a thousand or more pounds of grain in a ready to butcher steer or beef cattle it all depends if they are grain or grass finished.

a LOT of grain is going to Ethanol production trains pass my house nearly every night on the way to the ethanol plant.

what separates human grain food from animal grain food is largely variety and handling

you can eat Yellow dent corn but there are many types of corn grown for feed value over taste.

people tend to want good taste and the good tasting corn may not be the highest producing corn.

cows will eat it grain you wouldn't like the flavor of and ethanol doesn't matter how it tastes

·
Administrator
21,526 Posts
Jerry, please remember that the Encyclopedia of Country Living wasn’t written recently. Times change. Call the statement a lie is inaccurate if you understand the historical context.

The original version of the book was written before GMO grains existed.

I have doubts that you would ever need to buy bulk grain for planting. This conversation is likely just mental gymnastics.
I agree but I also feel that if the OP wishes to have certain discussions, she should probably refrain from beind snippy at people who have vastly more experience and are actually trying to share decades of wisdom.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts