grain bugs infested my bedroom

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 50lb bag of catfish food in my bedroom. I know that's not the best place for it, but the cats like it and I've never had a problem before. So, I kept it shut up in the bedroom. Well tonight i noticed little brown bugs on my pants (on the chair next to the bag). When I let my eyes adjust I found they are all over the floor coming out of this new bag of feed. I keep looking, they are on the bed, they are everywhere. I took the sheets off and am washing now, put the clothes in black trash bags tied tightly and put on the porch, vacuumed the bed. But when I wait a few minutes they are coming out of the seems in the bed. I'm going to sleep on the couch tonight. I don't want to have to call an exterminator. I've got all that I can see vacuumed up, but like i said, when I wait a few minutes I see more. Any ideas what I can do? When it rains it pours.

oh also, my sister in law called and said she found out my niece got lice from the babysitters house. My niece was crawling all over me at thanksgiving, sat in my lap and I did her hair. Soooo, is there any preventative thing I can do to make sure I don't get it to? My sister in law said to put olive oil on my hair with a shower cap and sleep in that over night. Any other suggestions.

2. poppy

poppy Guest

You could go to any hardware store or probably even walmart and get a jug of household insecticide with the sprayer and hose attached to it. Spray the cracks and crevises in the room good. I'd do the whole house to keep them from going to the grain products in you kitchen ( cereal, flour, and such). Sorry, can't help woth the lice in your hair.

3. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

I have heard of putting mayo on your head for 1-2 hours with a shower cap, so I am sure the olive oil would be the same principal.

You could also try rinsing your hair with plain old white vinegar, that should kill anything.

4. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

It might sound gross but if you have any flea shampoo for your cats you can use that on yourself. I recommend that you wash your hair in the sink so that you don't accidentally get the soap down below. I have heard about using olive oil and mayo to smother them. If you can I would leave it on for a few days. A super fine tooth comb works too. If the cats have one by all means borrow theirs. They won't mind.

I don't have much to suggest for the mattress other than possibly using a bleach and water solution then drag the mattress outside for a good airing out in the sunshine. Unfortunatly I don't think that a vinyl matress pad will kill them but it might allow you to sleep better.

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

For the grain bugs, after you have vacumed and washed everything you can, mix up 2 cups of any kind of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of boric acid powder (you can get it from a drugstore. Sprinkle this all over, get it into the crevices and cracks of baseboards and under stuff. They will eat this, desiccate and die, but it is not poisonous to you. Works great for roaches, by the way. You should probably keep your cats out of the room, and you wouldn't want to spread it on your bedding. In a few days, vacuum again. Those mealy bugs aren't dangerous or poisonous nor do they bite unless you have lentil genes, they're just disconcerting.

For the possible lice, I have hear the Mayo Method is clinically proven (that's a joke!) No, really -- I have heard it works well.

6. Sparticle

Thank you thank you thank you. Great advice everyone. I don't know if I caught the lice or not, but want to nip it in the bud. Going to treat the bedroom with this advice tomorrow morning before I go to work. It seems to be isolated to the bedroom so I can keep the cats out. Would it be OK to do this on the matress too? I'd do the bleach spray thing but it's a King sized matress and I can't carry it out by myself especially since it's been raining and everything outside is wet and muddy. I'll just sleep on the couch till I can get this all taken care of.

7. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

I would make a trip to the store and buy a bug bomb for the brown bugs. Buy enough for the square footage of your room. The fog will kill everything it comes in contact with.
    Since you were playing with your niece' hair most likely you got them too. You may want to buy the shampoo for lice while your at the store. I have heard that once the lice get established they are hard to get rid of. There are home remedies but I haven't heard how affective they are compared to the medicated shampoo. If they lay eggs you will want to retreat in about 10 days. Like you said when it rains it pours. Sorry for your discomfort. Carl

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think is is possible that it may take up to two weeks for any louse eggs to hatch. you may kill any adults but the eggs may or may not die from the initial treatment of whatever salad dressing you choose. (i think the idea of an oil sounds good... i think that will kill them).

just be prepared to re-treat and rewash everything in a week or two. also...i would choose the olive oil now that someone has brought it to my attention, i have heard of people using kerosene to treat headlice.

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

New bag of feed? Seems a little unusual to me that the bugs are so widespread ---- in your bed and all from a new bag. When the bag is new and there's bugs in it, I wonder why they are spreading. I'd think they'd be happy in the feed and not spread quickly. Unless of course the bugs were in the previous bag too. I hope you return the feed for a refund.

Would you provide a little more descriptive information about the bug?

Are the catfish in your bedroom also?

Vacuuming is your best weapon for the grain bugs. Although any product labeled for fleas and stating that a growth regulator is one of the active ingredients would also effect the reproductive cycle of the grain bugs. These growth regulators work especially well on pantry pests.

Don't waste your money on "bombs."

Ironically, head lice are one of the few bugs that have actually developed resistance to most off-the-shelf products labeled for them. Oils and such, I guess, are trying to suffocate them. The problem with this strategy is the eggs will survive. You may have to repeat it more than once.

I have read on this forum from those devoted to diatomaceous earth. It may be worth trying for the head lice. Be sure to avoid breathing it or getting it in your eyes though.
    Gary

10. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have experience with head lice.
    Throw your pillows, and anything you can't wash in hot water, in the dryer on high for thirty minutes.

Cat flea shampoo kills adult lice, and then you have to physically remove the nits, hard for me to do with my eyesight.
    Our school nurse recommended using a straight vinegar rinse for ten minutes first
    (burned my scalp a little at first, but it worked) so that the acid in the vinegar will
    dissolve the glue that the lice use to attach the nits to the hair shaft.
    Then she said to use Dawn original dishwashing detergent to remove the nits.
    It worked for me.

Now most of the time I can get away with just using a hairdryer on high and overheating my hair when drying it, every time one of my kids comes home with lice, and it kills/prevents lice on myself, as long as I catch it early.

A flea fogger will kill those weevils, and might have a residual effect.
    So will any spray with pyrethrin, permethrin or pyrethroid, but those are quick kill ingredients, so it will only kill what it touches when it's wet, unless it specifically says it's microencapsulated for residual effect.

Don't use diatom powder on your head, its like microscopic glass shards, and can blind you, or get into your lungs like asbestos, and there's no way to get it out of eyes or lungs.

11. Sparticle

Well the bag was a week old and yes the old bag was in there too but I never noticed bugs in that old bag. The bag was about 2 feet from my bed. I slept on the couch last night and checked the bed again this morning and I don't see any more bugs!! I vacuumed for a long time last night. I'd wait a while and go back and do it again. They I sprayed some stuff I found in the cabinet around the bed (it said it was safe to do that). The bugs were on the bed on the side the food was on, my clothes were stacked where they were actually touching the bag of feed so that's why they got on the clothes. I am going to get a refund today I hope.

Well, going to work now.

12. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

one of the few known causes of leukemia is that strong chemical remedy for lice! I would hesitate putting any neurological type solution in my sleeping quarters. My father has been an avid sprayer and bomber for years he now has a form of leukemia, related - I don't know, but it is possible.

For the lice use real mayonaise not reduced fat and smother your hair with it. Instead of a shower cap wrap saran type wrap around your head tightly - then top with a shower cap or towel. You can also put a hair dryer on low after you are wrapped to heat it all up a bit. keep a towel around your neck to catch drips. The oil must be in contact with the lice for 20 minutes in order for them to suffocate. (they breathe through their skin) While mayo won't kill the nits it along with a vinegar rinse does a great job at releasing the nit cement so that a cat/dog flea comb (why spend 3x as much in the cosmetic aisle?) will easily remove them. If you have previously used a chemical solution on your head those nits will be very firmly attached!

You can also purchase a product online called licebgone (there are several out with similar names) it is actually meat tenderizer in a lathering solution - this works by causing the buggies to grow too fast and they litteraly burst - works on nits as well.

For preventative, use a blow dryer - coconut shampoo - where long hair up - and the basic do not share hair gear. Children who hang their coats up next to eachothers at school may pass the bug too.

My daughter "caught" lice after we spent the night and next day in ICU waiting room - sadly she was horribly infested by the time I realised it. I had never seen a louse before. So, if you have to spend time in such a place either wipe the seat back down, place a cover over the seat - or just don't slouch!

My daughter's infestation took awhile to clear up I had used the chemical solution prior to learning of mayo and her hair is terrible thick the nits were well embedded. To reduce any risk of spreading cooties to others, in the family as well as in the community, we had her wear a hair net at all times and a scarf over that. At home she wore a shower cap over the hair net.

The laundry was a bit much as we do not have a dryer and our washer leaks like a sieve and we run out of hot water very quickly, so we did not have her sleep in her bed. Instead I covered the couch with a plastic sheet which got wiped down daily and put her bedding atop of it, her pillow under it. Only she used the couch for 2 weeks.

those little brown bugs may be lice? and not grain bugs?

13. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

btw lice like clean heads better than dirty ones

14. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Grain bugs + vacuum bag = make sure you toss the vacuum bag OUTSIDE garbage can immediately after vacuuming.

15. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

The reason that I wrote that you probably wouldn't want to sprinkle the boric acid stuff on your bed is because I figured you'd be sleeping there, and nobody needs to breathe more dusty substances than necessary.

Don't freak out about the mealy bugs. They're totally innocuous.

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Headlice is so common and resistant here and I am organic so I don't bother with chemicals. Daily combing everyone's hair with conditioner (cheapest available) to keep the bugs from getting away as I combed, using a nit comb got rid of it all in a week- I got the nits all out too but continued daily dry comb/inspection every day for 2 weeks after that and then weekly for a few months to make sure not back again. Crewcut DH had none ever; DD12 had them once and it never spread to the rest of us, DD5 and I got it once after a ski trip- maybe from the hotel or her rented skihelmet. Anyway no need for chemicals if you have time and someone else to check your hair, and no guarantee the chemicals will do it without the careful combing and inspection.

17. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

Ozark Dew is right, the ingredient to avoid is Lindane. Proven to cause leukemia, but still on the market for lice and scabies.

Pyrethrin is a natural quick-kill pesticide made from the chrysanthemum plant. Pyrthroids, and Permethrin are synthetic pyrethrin, and all are considered safe for human use with no residual effects.