Gps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Dec 31, 2004.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Need some help.
    Tried a search - not what I'm looking for - on this site.
    Can anyone tell me about GPS receivers.
    Can you get a longitude/lattitude readout from these units.
    Having property line dispute with a neighbor and not even his line but another neighbor's.
    Am concerned about liability when this person and family members tresspass and possible injury. Seems like the type that would utilize the legal system if the occassion arrised.
    Short of GPS would need the property resurveyed.
    Any help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. Current accuracy in the lower 48 is measured in a few feet for the common hand held unit. Really good units, with compensation, can get down to inches. Modern surveyors use highly accurate GPS units in their work.

Probably, if you wanted it to stand up in a court of law.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

By their nature GPS units provide a latitude and longitude. Accuracy varies depending on satellite position and obstructions. I've seen accuracy down to 5'. Today when I was out, accuracy was about 20'. I'm not sure how you plan on utilizing a GPS to "discuss" things with your neighbor. Surveys don't normally reference latitude amd longitude.

You can use a GPS to get bearings and walk off the distances shown on a deed. If your neighbor is a real problem, they probably wouldn't even heed a survey.

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input.
    Do the gps units give longi and lat on the read out?
    Could this be used with a map?

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Yes, a GPS gives the lat and long on a read out. Most have maps built in but in rural areas they don't show information other than county, state and federal highways and city locations. I'm not sure what kind of map you have in mind but even a topo map probably doesn't have the scale you need. If you have a plat, and can find one of the corners, a GPS could help you find the other corners, if still in existence, and establish an approximate boundary. Keep in mind plats typically don't locate corners by lat and long. You'd have to start at a known corner and use the GPS to set the direction you need to walk and then pace off the boundary until the GPS registered the distance shown on the plat.

Depending on the accuracy, which varies depending on the number of satellites available overhead, you could end up doing a lot of searching.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Had a dispute with a neighbor over a boundary once. She brought in an independent surveyor. I called the title company and they made him put the lines back where they were. End of argument. That is what title insurance is about.

7. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of the info.
    Food for thought and again thanks.