Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/2009/01/govt-says-sorry-no-more-reselling-your.html

I hope this hasn't been discussed before and I have missed it. I just found out about it.

This is one of those say it isn't so things. I can't believe the government says we will not be able to resell toys and clothes without testing for lead and pthalates. How will most people be able to get any clothes for their children? If they would ban the stuff from China we would not have this problem. We have not had stuff manufactured in the USA containing lead in years. Now this China junk and some of the other countries junk are going to be making us pay for their stupidity.

·
Gefion's Plow
325 Posts
It's also inconvenient for our economy when not everybody buys stuff new, which I personally don't mind if it means saving a buck or 100. Let's bring some industry back to the US. I doubt this will be harshly enforced; there are so many means of selling clothes.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Good grief! Talk about upside-down and back-to-front inside-out legislation! What un-genius thought that one up, I wonder?

Wouldn't it be better to legislate that ALL clothing items are safe to be sold in the first place - then re-selling it wouldn't be a problem. Put the onus on manufacturers and importers - not the consumer.

I foresee millions of criminals in the making in your part of the world. And a lot more very financially-stressed families.

It's beyond ridiculous.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm thinking this is a first move to ban re-sale of anything. Think of the sales tax lost when someone has a yard sale. I don't have children anymore, but I know a lot of folks who outfit their kids at thrift stores and yard sales. They'll be hurt if this gets enforced. Years ago there was a move to tax barter transactions. It was ridiculous and died a just death. I'm thinking this will be the same. Who's going to foot the bill for the yard sale police? Local municipalities? Gimme a break, Washington.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
DONT BUY ........ BARTER !!!!! good ol fashioned barter system will come back !!

·
Super Moderator
13,903 Posts
Anyone considered the possibility that consideration of this sort of resale regulation could be a planned step of the 10 year deflation recovery strategy?

Resale and importation gets highly restricted. Domestic manufacturing re-establishes to produce easily regulated products utilizing deflaton recovery level labor and domestic resource materials. Once the domestic sources are re-established, resale of domestically produced items could be allowed with amendment of the regulation.

Think like politicians and businessmen and businesswomen facing a collapsing economy for the next decade and you can see the potential "what ifs" and "maybes".

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Anyone considered the possibility that consideration of this sort of resale regulation could be a planned step of the 10 year deflation recovery strategy?

Resale and importation gets highly restricted. Domestic manufacturing re-establishes to produce easily regulated products utilizing deflaton recovery level labor and domestic resource materials. Once the domestic sources are re-established, resale of domestically produced items could be allowed with amendment of the regulation.

Think like politicians and businessmen and businesswomen facing a collapsing economy for the next decade and you can see the potential "what ifs" and "maybes".
Well, this was passed a year ago in a knee-jerk reaction to all the "lead laced" toys, so I don't think that's the case.

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
2)items already made and on shelves before Feb 10, 2009 are exempt. They have to follow the laws that were in effect at the time of manufacture. (so far) This law ONLY applies to items manufactured AFTER Feb 10, 2009.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Well, if they would bring manufacturing back to the US, then we wouldn't have all this China Carp.

I need some new pots and pans, but I am not going to buy made in China carp.
Everything I look at is made in China.

There has to be made in US good stainless cookware somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I almost feel like it's a ploy by retail, since so many families now shop thrift stores and ebay. guess it's fine and dandy to sell it in the stores to begin with, but not to each other. frosts my chops.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
2)items already made and on shelves before Feb 10, 2009 are exempt. They have to follow the laws that were in effect at the time of manufacture. (so far) This law ONLY applies to items manufactured AFTER Feb 10, 2009.
How will this be enforced? I don't have one piece of clothing that has a date of manufacture printed on it.:shrug:

I know! The retailers will have people stationed at the exits with little rubber stamps with the dates on them stamping all your purchases. Think of the employment opportunities this will create! :happy:

Or, maybe the gov't will require all the manufacturing plants in the whole world, to re-tool their plants to include the mandated date stamp in order to be compliant. After all, everyone knows, being compliant is the best way to live. No stress, no worries the gov't will take care of everything.:bow:

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
This sickens me. Just one more way for government to stick their noses into everything and everywhere. I was already confused as to why the government has made everyone upgrade TV's, now this?! Since I have a 3 year old, I rely on hand-me-downs, yard sales, consignment...the cost of keeping her in clothes for the 3 months she fits them is unreal. And I count on that consignment money to try to recoup costs of toys, clothes, and so on. This is just ridiculous. What, pray tell, should I do with all the clothes and toys I have?! Landfill? Now THERE'S a viable option...I agree, this must be a ploy between govmnt and retail chains. How many poverty stricken people can afford to shop anywhere else then consignment and the like?!

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
All right, drinks on the table, everyone.

I've got a simple message to anything - and anyone - who lives within reach of a veterinary clinic.

"Be afraid! Be very afraid!"
Uh, what? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
42,693 Posts
Well, if they would bring manufacturing back to the US, then we wouldn't have all this China Carp.

I need some new pots and pans, but I am not going to buy made in China carp.
Everything I look at is made in China.

There has to be made in US good stainless cookware somewhere.
Two points here, first, get out of walmart, kmart and the dollar stores to do your shopping if you want to buy some better quality goods made in the USA. Second. The only way to bring manufacturing back to the USA is to make it profitable. This means cutting production costs either through environmental legislation being relaxed somewhat therefore cutting the cost of raw materials, or labor has to get back into some form of reality. When the chinese workers will work for $20 a week, doing the same job our workers demand $25 an hour plus bennies it makes it rather difficult for a factory to compete. Relieving the crushing tax burdens on industry wouldnt hurt a thing either. The only other thing "they" could do to bring industry back to our own country would be to impose taxes on imports to bring the cheap prices back in line with what our manufacturers can compete with.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I recently went to a department store to purchase an outfit for my little 3 yr. old grandson. just jeans...little sweater or something. OK..it wasn't Walmart...and the price for just those little jeans was $30. seriously....he'll wear them for a couple months.

seems handy that this comes on the tail end of retail crying their eyes out about low profits. maybe it's been in the works for longer, but it's still government control. and it should make every one of us sign the online petitions and write to complain. I did. it won't likely do any good, but I felt better trying something.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Just an FYI, the Supreme Court has stated that retroactively requiring manufactured items to live up to standards set forth NOW is unenforceable.

The law as it is now, refers to the lead testing for items manufactured on or after Feb 10, 2009. They are TRYING to completely ban 6 phthalates by making the plastics phthalates testing retroactive...but that law has a really hard row to hoe, so to speak. It's already being challenged.

You know how lead in dinnerwear is banned? Well, they still sell antique items and pewter plates/tankards from before the change to non-lead pewter.

For many people, the labeling laws are going to be worse. The CPSIA requires all children's products (including apparel) to carry a permanent label with manufacturer's name, and an identifying mark for batchnumber or date of production.

Since the latest round of news articles hit the web, the changes to the law are multiplying rapidly. Going to be interesting.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts