Government Land?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WildeWoman, Sep 2, 2005.

1. WildeWoman

WildeWoman New Member

Naturally, this seems improbable or I’m rather sure we should all own our free acreage. Regardless, what are your thoughts?

http://www.governmentland.com/

I apologize if this has been posted before.

2. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

The copyright on that page is 2002, I don't think I'd send any money.

Mineral rights claims are available, they aren't talking about ownership.

However, I'd question their statement that you have to pay county taxes (apparently on mineral rights?)
    My experience is only with land ownership in multiple counties of Missouri, not one of the states listed on that website, I've never heard of taxes for mineral rights claims, or heard of claims selling for back taxes.

I do know that the 100 years is up, and whoever (or whatever company) had the mineral rights to the land that my grandfather bought in 1902 has lost their claim.
    We have several more parcels where mineral rights will be reverting to us in the next twenty years. Luckily, lead mining isn't as popular as speculators thought it was going to be when they sold all of those mineral claims at the turn of the century, so none of our land has even been prospected, much less mined.

Does anyone know about the "three types of claims" listed on that site?

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They are lying.

Also, any information on government programs is available free FROM the government!

The government does offer some mining claims. This is not the same as land ownership, but you can go there and camp out without problems.

Like all government information, there is no charge for information on mining claims.

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

.......trust me...I use to work with the government.....

there is no free land.....you can still stake a claim, a mineral claim that is...IF you can find any land with anything valuable...that hasn't already been claimed...and then pay filing fees, rental fees, fees on fees, recurring yearly fees...believe me it ain't free, and there are all sorts of restrictions, one of which is you can't be living on the claim, until you have 'proved' up the claim...an act that costs a small fortune....