Government Land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mennonite girl, Dec 10, 2005.

1. mennonite girl

mennonite girl Active Member

Has anyone here claimed government land? I see it advertised just wondering if it really works.

Thanks
    Katie

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

No it doesn't. While the laws for patent claims still exist, none have been issued since the 70's.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The company just sells you the information that the government will give you for free. They are taking advantage of wanna-bes.

You would be better off buying land in a location where you can find work: even folks who grow their own food will need money for clothes, tools, and taxes. You can search on-line, but do NOT buy land sight unseen! EVER! :eek: Walk it before you buy it!

The beauty of looking on-line is, you can tell what areas have low prices in general and which have high prices. If you see affordable properties, go look around the area some time. It makes for a VERY entertaining weekend! :D

I always enjoyed this site. www.unitedcountry.com

4. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I checked this out from the governments own site, and actually the law has changed. You can't stake claims anymore. They sell land overages rarely and at market rate, so I have no idea WHAT these people are talking about. The official position of the Gov. is that they want to keep most of the land they have, and much of it is in the process of being classified as protected for environmental reasons.
    ...too good to be true turns out to be not true again. :-( Man, but wouldn't that have been nice?
    Cindyc.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried claiming government land but the Park Rangers at Yellowstone made me pour out my beer, get down off the picnic table and put on my pants.

6. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Government gets pretty creative with what they sell. Several years ago I saw where they had sold rights to the space above the train station in washington dc starting at about 20 feet above ground level to 100 feet or so.

Now as to how to post it properly ...

7. rafter

rafter Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly true. You can claim "unpatiented" claims. These are on federal lands, either BLM, or National Forest. You can work these claims for gold, silver, or other minerals such as gem stones. You cannot build on it nor live on it...except stay in a camper for 2 weeks at a time...if the forestry dept comes around. Longer if they don't. You would need to go to the BLM office in that area to fill out the appropriate paper work. There is a fee.