government grants

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by noahs_wife, Dec 17, 2003.

1. noahs_wife

noahs_wife Member

Has anybody ever gotten government grants to start a business and how does one go about getting them? I've searched the internet and everyone wants money for the information.My husband and I want to start a dariy goat farm but need money and heard about government grants and wondering if they are for real and not just some scam.If any one can help it woul be great

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Take a look at this site, it's government and direct to the agencies.

http://www.firstgov.gov/Business/Nonprofit.shtml

Good luck.
    AngieM2

3. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Yes, they are real. I've never applied for one, but DH and I have looked into it at one time. Here is their website..this is the official one for the government, NOT a link to someone who will do it for you. It is called the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. There is a search bar you can use or you can browse the entire catalog. It is packed full of different programs and gives the details of each one, along with the contact information you will need. Good luck!
    Heather

http://12.46.245.173/cfda/cfda.html

4. melina

melina Well-Known Member

Beware of the government wanting to give you money. Read the fine print. When we wanted grant money to build a chicken carcass composter a few years ago, we learned that the govt would have the right to come onto our land and assess how we were doing with "their" composter for something like 15 years. We turned down the grant. The feds came out anyway a few months later, took core samples, walked the land and declared us potential wetlands. We were on a hill!!!

5. Granddaddy always said “Aint no free money”, but I had always assumed that Govt. grants were like the $44 dollar government Jeeps. I am a little surprise to see that they actually exist. Interesting thread.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

One of our neighbors bought one of the $44 Jeeps. Hehehe it was a Willis that needed ......e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Cost $126 dollars to get delivered and $350 dollars later actually ran. He still uses it on his farm.

The Government ain't all bad...Just 99.99999999% is. :haha: