Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: I wonder if anyone here has ever considered or tried to get a Monetary grant to study sustainable living on a homestead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Typically research grants are given to Universities. If the Government gives you money to live on your homestead, it's called welfare. *grin*

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would say it is certainly worth looking into, however, there are very, very few grants available for private parties. They prefer you be a non-profit almost across the board. If you can think of a way for it to have community impact though, you might stand somewhat of a chance. There was a man not too long ago who got something like a 250,000 grant because he was developing a potting pot made out of manure. Don't let anyone tell you can't do something...there are usually ways to be found. Good luck!

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
AJ Williams said:
:rolleyes: I wonder if anyone here has ever considered or tried to get a Monetary grant to study sustainable living on a homestead.
I have looked into it extensively. The first order of business is to create a non-profit organization. Then you need to target what you are looking for specifically. I checked into the Value Added programs as well as some reforestation programs that were offered through the Forestry Service. I also looked into programs where you are improving the quality of a rural community and increasing the job market in a rural community. I can't remember the exact names right now, but if you google around you should be able to locate them. There are also low-cost loans out there, if you do not qualify for a grant out right. Some of the grants call for matching funds which means you have to do some fund raising on your own to qualify.

donsgal

·
Human Being!
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
donsgal said:
I have looked into it extensively. The first order of business is to create a non-profit organization. Then you need to target what you are looking for specifically. I checked into the Value Added programs as well as some reforestation programs that were offered through the Forestry Service. I also looked into programs where you are improving the quality of a rural community and increasing the job market in a rural community. I can't remember the exact names right now, but if you google around you should be able to locate them. There are also low-cost loans out there, if you do not qualify for a grant out right. Some of the grants call for matching funds which means you have to do some fund raising on your own to qualify.

donsgal
Thanks for the information. Think I will look into the low cost loans.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
To answer your question, there are grants to individuals.
Having said that, I feel that grants (from public monies) and subsidies are part of the problem, not the solution.
If all farming were to be based on real income and expenses, then maybe people would have to pay the real cost of food production, rather than have the government coffers dictate it, enabling the big corps to make a really good profit while little guys go broke.
Grants are nothing but redistribution of tax money, and it usually goes to the big guys, making it harder for the little guys.
Ann

1 - 6 of 6 Posts