goverment grants

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Dec 29, 2005.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I read an article about a person who got a goverment Grant to help them start up a farm. It was listed as a agriculture/business grant? Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Surely its some kind of gimmic. I cant see the goverment giving out enough money to buy land and everything else to start a farm. They claim its a grant NOT a loan so it doesnt even have to be repaid.. Just thought I would ask becuase it seems odd to me.

Rick

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I don't know a WHOLE lot about the subject. I think women can get some startup money in the form of a grant, but I know that you can get government loans. Around here people get loans to buy or lease cows...we have a friend from a church we went to and his job is applications examiner and loan officer for a government farm subsidy program.
    We're planning on visiting him... ;)

3. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I think I read about this in that book, can't think of the name, something about free money from the government, but it seems the requirements were that you had to have three years of apprenticeship on a genuine farm and letters of recommendation. If I knew how to write grant requests, there are a bazillion of them I would try for! So many available, but I believe the grant writing has to be very specific.

4. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen this ad for grants in some of my goat magazines. From what I understand it is to buy equipment and improve your existing structures. You cannot use it to purchase land or animals. You must already have a working operation.