Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I hate paying for the public school system the way it stands now.

I would not mind even paying higher taxes if they got rid of the NEA and gave all school districts local control, with the following mandates: Just the basics (math, language, science, history with NO bias - just the facts, Maam), no social passing, no publically funded sports or other "fun" stuff, no tenure, no free meals, no babysitting service (IE after school care, all day kindergarten, etc.) no diversity training and other PC stuff.

If something does'nt work, it's time to give it up and try something new.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In our area, the school budget just for our town is larger than that for the remainder of the town and the entire county. And that is just the portion from our property taxes. Taxes from state and federal levels also goes to the schools. Teachers in our area get paid more than police, fire, etc. and yet only work about 9 months with other holidays off (My neighbor is a public school teacher, she is home more than at work!).

We homeschool so our taxes pay for someone else's kids, we get no benefit from those taxes. I believe that taxes should be based on number of kids a family has and then those taxes can be applied to the school of choice or to homeschool materials, etc. However, that would make the public schools accountable and would mean they couldn't always build the new swimming pools, etc. They would have to learn to take care of existing properties and not constantly build new. I once questioned that in my area and they looked at me like I had three green heads!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts