Gout

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jessikate, May 20, 2005.

1. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

My dear friend was taking a walk with his dog about a month ago and turned his ankle, which has happened before and he has suffered no serious problems other than some swelling and a little pain for a couple days. This time it became terribly painfull, and while he was in California visiting his mother, he went to the doctor. They wanted to put him in a cast to imobilize his foot, but he refused, knowing he had to drive back to Colorado in a vehicle with a standard transmission.

When he returned I went out to his place and helped him unload his truck, got him settled in and took a look at his foot. Over the day of driving (4:30 am to 6:00 pm) his foot had swolen some more and started to discolor again from brusing. He was clearly in pain, but he is a "manly man", and doesn't want a friend 15 years his junior "nursmaiding" him. It has become increasingly more painfull and swolen, so yesterday I forced him to our local doc, who diagnosed it as gout - and gave a list of diet recomendations, including no more beer and very little red meat (gasp!!!).

Aside from dietary changes, what other steps can he take to get himself healthy again. It is frustrating for the both of us, and he has hired a 16 yr old to help him out with his business, and realy enjoys the help, but he wants to drive again and navigate his front porch without crutches!

Thanks for any input!

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Gout would be like a hard labor prison sentence to me. ''no more beer & very little red meat''.I have a friend who has it, & drugs have helped him, but a lifestyle change is certainly required for the condition to get better. Whether or not he follows his doctor's orders about diet will have a great influence on his level of discomfort.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

We have gout in my family, and all of us suspect it has less to do with dietary indiscretion and more to do with some kind of inability to digest or whatever --- lack of a certain enzyme or something which breaks down purines. This inability causes uric acid crystals to accumulate in the extremities, usually the feet.

Our suspicions are based on the fact that our family is showing up with a bizatte array of strange disorders, all having t do with the inability to digest or break down certain substances. I'm celiac, for example, meaning I can't break down glutens. I have a niece who's a stage 4 cystinuric, meaning her kidneys can't break down cysteine and three other aminos (can't remember which). And we just had another young family member have to have their gall bladder removed. The doctors said they'd never seen anything like it in anyone so young. This is a kid who eats well, mind you. So it looks like we might have something else going on, as well.

The gouty people in the family have learned first and foremost is the necessity to stay hydrated. Gout appears to get worse for them when they don't drink a lot of good fluids, meaning fluids which don't degydrate them further. Tell your friend to really up the fruits and vegetables, as well.

This is something he needs to get under control. From what I understand, continued gout attacks can really do a number on your joints, even though it's a seemingly innocuous disorder.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Thanks countrygrrrl! I'll pass it on. It's interesting that Gout used to be a disease of the well to do...those who could afford rich food & drink.Now it's a disease of the middle classes.

5. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

Good info - thak you folks!

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Black cherry juice. I get it from puritan's pride. It is a bit pricey but sometimes you can get a buy 1 get 1 or buy 1 get 2 sale.

www.puritan.com

Tart cherries are good too and help relieve pain. I have a fruit smoothie with the frozen tart cherries from the grocery every day. Amazing how much it helps. But the black cherry juice is specific for gout. I take it when I have a flair of arthritis or fybro.

Also have him drink parsley tea two or three times a day to help cleanse his blood.

Cayenne pepper also relieves any pain but especially arthritis. Just tell him to use as much as he can handle on his food. He can also rub it into the painful area.

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Bingo, Kim! :)

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

colchicine and NSAIDS for the attacks, Allopurinol for the prevention. Uric acid kidney stones also tend to accompany gouty arthritis, so definitely stay hydrated with lemon water (1/8 cup per gallon water) Uric acid kidney stones also generally are radio-opaque meaning they don't show up on plain X-ray until they have been calcified, it takes a non-contrast CT to pick those up

10. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I had a freind whos mother had gout and she wanted my raw goat milk for her.
    So I told a guy from my church about it and he wanted to try it for himself.He dosen't drink beer but eats like a horse.Anything he wants at any hour .He loves food (red meat too),but is only ten or twelve pounds over weight!
    Well, for a little over two years he has been gout free.Ain't saying the milk did it ,but something helped both people.
    Chas

11. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I've been diagnosed with gout for 16 years. I'm 41 now, so that gives you an idea how young it can strike. I had it for a good 2-3 years before it was diagnosed. My comments are from experience.

In my case cherries in any form will work, providing I have a couple days for them to do thier thing. I use cherries for mild attacks.

It is said that blueberries contain the same substance that's in cherries, but, in a less concentrated form. Blueberries do not work for me.

Colchicine is excellent for severe attacks. Keep in mind it's best to stay close to home when taking it. My scrip is to take a colchicine every four hours until the gout subsides, or until I get the trots. Tell your friend if it takes that long it will be the most intense and suprising case of the trots he ever had. Like I said, stay close to home.

Allopurinol was mentioned above. Tell your friend DON"T DO IT UNLESS HE ABSOLUTELY HAS TO! I was on it for a while and the results weren't a whole lot different from just watching my diet. The real reason I stopped taking it. I know four guys under the age of 50 with liver damage that was believed to have been caused by Allopurinol. Doctors are very fast to push allopurinol on a patient, they are also quick to promise it's harmless as long as you get regular blood tests. Unfortunately they forget to tell you that when the blood test catches it, the damage is often done.

I've discovered from my own experience and from talking to others that diet restrictions vary from person to person.

In my case:

Red meat is something I can eat twice a day 7 days a week with only rare attacks. The exception to the rule, I have to avoid gravies most of the time.

I can't eat a turkey sandwich twice in one week without getting an attack.

Forget organ meats all together. :waa:

Shellfish once every two weeks is pretty harmless to me. :haha: I know another guy that will drop in his track from just walking by a fish market it seems.

I can handle a rare beer, maybe once a month. Wine a glass or two a week or cooked in a dish once a week. I could drink liquor fairly often without much trouble. Luckily for me I was diagnosed at a time when I was working part time in a bar as a bouncer. Other experiences helped me lose my taste for alcohol so really I don't miss it.

Tell your friend to see if his doctor has a list of foods high in purines. Then experiment a little with the food on the list. It's easy to learn to handle mild attacks. I used to eat liver and onions often. I also used to go out drinking beer several nights a week as a bouncer. Shell fish in a wine sauce was on my menu frequently. One witness to my first bad attack will swear I levitated for five minutes after someone accidently brushed up against me! :haha: (I can laugh now 15 yrs later)

One last piece of advice for your friend before I jump off my :soap: . Tell him if he ever has an injury to not inform the doctors right away about being a gout sufferer. If I stub a toe or twist an ankle I will have an attack there shortly afterwards. Just like your friend had happen to him. 8 years ago I hyper extended a knee while out on a fishing trip. My personal physician wouldn't X-ray or get an MRI because he insisted it was just gout, he even had the jar of fluid he drained, with the uric acid crystals floating in it for proof. Well my insurance carrier wouldn't authorize a second oppinion without my Dr giving a refferal, and he was positive it was just gout. I worked on a concrete floor 12 hours a day for almost three months with a severely torn miniscus. One night I rolled over in bed and something went POP, it was the minicus finally tearing all the way. Between surgery and physical therapy I lost 3 more months of work. I now have almost no cartiledge in my right knee, and suffer from severe arthritus.

But, hey, it was just gout!

Tell your friend I said welcome to the club. It's considered the disease of royalty in europe.

12. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

My husband had an incident of gout 6 years ago and only one small incident since then. His doctor told him that they are seeing more of it in younger people because stress. I read the Johns Hopkins article and this was mentioned because of increasing ATP. He was under a huge amount of stress when he got it.

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've had Gout so bad it has put me in a Wheelcair.But I know what is causing it.I'm having a domino effect from other Drugs,I'm taking Lasix it is draining my system,I'm taking Coumadin,that limits me on things I can eat,at present I'm taking Allopurinol.

I'm thinking a lot of my Drugs I take go back to the 80Mg. a day Lasix but can't get away from taking it.

big rockpile

14. Cyngbaeld

Rocky, you need to drink the parsley tea too. a good strong cup 3 times a day and see what it does for you. Also get the cherries and start eating them.

Blueberries don't do it for me either.

15. big rockpile

Would the Parsley Tea be considerd Herbal? Because Doctor told me no Herbal Tea.

big rockpile

16. Cyngbaeld

Rock, of course it is an herbal tea. HOWEVER. Most docs don't know enough about herbs to know what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately most of their patients are quite ignorant as well. There are a number of herbal teas that will cause you problems. Long list and I won't go into them. Parsley tea is one of the safest herbs there is. But if you don't want to make tea from it get some fresh parsley and chew on it. Drink plenty of water when you do. You should be drinking water anyhow.

17. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Yes, get pie cherries, no sugar...NOT pie filling. Drink the juice, eat a small bowl full of cherries every meal and before bedtime.

18. big rockpile

I don't know,I'm not to have any mostly dark Greens,I was surprised the other day when I got jumped for eating Green Onions.I didn't know I wasn't to have them. :confused:

I have a long list of things I can't eat I think the shorter list would be what I can.

big rockpile

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If you are correct, and you personally know of four cases about that you should get them together and write a letter to the CDC, because that would be reportable information. Chances are they had liver damage from other sources, like too much tylenol in their pain meds