Gout Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 22, 2004.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, dilemma...

I want to raise pigs, I love pork...

Problem: I have gout...

[​IMG]

Anyone figured out a solution (besides the obvious, DON'T EAT PORK)?

Anyone here have gout? Do you do the black cherry juice? Do you use the concentrate? Or just pills from the Rx?

2. Brad

Brad Active Member

You will probably need to take your Allopurinol and stay away from excess sevings of pork, but it depends on if the cause of your gout is dietary. Talk to your physician about this.

3. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I've read that nettle helps as a supplement

4. seedspreader

I have already consulted a Dr. years ago. It IS dietary.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Have you tried home grown pork as opposed to pork from the supermarket? I admit I'm clueless when it comes to gout, but lots of people who had reactions to supermarket chicken can eat natural pastured chicken.

If you want to Paypal me $30 for overnight shipping, I can send you some of mine for free to try... :haha:

6. Don in W.N.C.

Don in W.N.C. New Member

I was told by an old man many years ago to cut out all the citric acid in my diet. Also the peelings from almost any kind of fruit as well as limit consumption of raw fruit. This also includes especially raisins for me. Now I'm an old man and this has worked for me. By the way, I love pork but only eat small amounts of it. Good luck.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Can you say D-I-A-B-E-T-I-ES, I knew you could, good thats next if you donot pay atention to your diet and its contents and change them, drastically. Start now, tomorrow may be too late. I am faceing the big blindness if I cannot get it controled, you have time to make changes if you do it now. It comes in the back door and sneaks up on you, don't get whacked like I did.

Don't put any more ugly pix here, some of us are 'sensitive'!!

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My daddy had gout the winter before he died of a heart attack. He was not diabetic and did not eat very much pork. Since that time we've noted a lot of folks who have gout and then suffer heart attacks. They didn't seem to think my dad's was diet-related but the heart-attack connection is scarey. best wishes.

9. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

And then, some say it is not diet related. There is a wealth of health relatee resources at the Combined Health Information Database (www.chid.nih.gov) And look up medical terms at medterms.com. Forget the cherry juice.

10. seedspreader

Yeah, sometimes I don't like stuff I read too... but we have to live with it. Now if you are giving me a "moderator's directive." that's fine, but that picture is an old lithograph of how gout feels. If you are too offended by it, sorry, but I don't find it all that offensive.

And by the way, what does diabetes have to do with gout??? :confused:

11. seedspreader

Thanks for the link, one of the first things I did when I found out I had gout was to read up and learn as much as I could. I still do, that is why I posted. I am very informed about the defect that I have, I even have the Allopurinol pills, I was hoping that perhaps someone with gout could tell me what they do. I abstain from most pork, although it is not solely pork that can set a flare off of it. Shell fish is big on purines too.

For those not sure what Gout is ( I have never heard the heart attack link ) here is some info.

As I said, just hoping to find some homesteaders, who tend to eat more rich, natural foods (that stuff raised on the farm) and how they deal with it.

Gout is one of the most common forms of arthritis (joint inflammation). It appears as an acute attack often coming on overnight. Within 12-24 hours there is severe pain and swelling in the affected joint. The skin over the joint may be red and shiny.

Gout usually affects only one or two joints at a time - most often the feet and ankles. The ball of the big toe is the commonest site. Without treatment the attack subsides in a week or so and when patients first develop gout there may be intervals of many months or even years between attacks. As time goes by, these tend to become more frequent and more severe and eventually many joints may be involved, sometimes all at the same time. At this stage a state of chronic or continuous joint disease may develop with progressive joint damage, disability and crippling (chronic gout). Gout affects mostly men and is very rare in women until after the menopause when it is quite often seen. Gout is very common in New Zealand and it is particularly common in Maoris and Pacific Islanders. Some surveys have shown it to be present in up to 10% of adult males.

What causes Gout?

Uric acid is a chemical which is a natural part of the normal breaking down and building up of food and body tissues. The level in the blood can be measured and shows how much there is in the body overall. The condition of raised blood uric acid is called hyperuricaemia. When this is present the uric acid which is normally dissolved in the blood may, from time to time, form microscopic crystals in the joint. These crystals set up the inflammation which is called acute gouty arthritis or acute gout.

It follows that gout may develop in persons whose uric acid is higher than normal. There are many causes of this. The following are some of the more common causes:

# Higher than normal levels of uric acid can be part of the inherited make-up of some families
    # Obesity
    # High alcohol intake
    # High intake of food containing purines (see below)
    # Some of the drugs used to treat high blood pressure.
    # Less commonly, longstanding kidney disease may result in high blood levels of uric acid.

Treatment of Gout

The first step wherever possible must be to correct those factors mentioned above which give rise to high uric acid levels. Purines are substances found in food, which, when broken down produce a lot of uric acid. Therefore the following foods which are high in Purines should be restricted or avoided:

# Offal foods such as liver, kidneys, tripe, sweetbreads and tongue.
    # Excessive amounts of red meat.
    # Shellfish, fish roe and scallops.
    # Peas. lentils and beans.
    # Alcohol intake should be reduced. Two glasses of beer a day or less is sensible. On special occasions you can drink more.
    # Weight loss may be very important.
    # Medication for high blood pressure may need to be altered.

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Basicaly it is Acid in your system.It really had me laid up for a long time.But I get it because of being on Lasix.I tried everything finally went to the Doctor got some little Pills about the size of a Pin Head,had to take one about every Hour I think,made me sicker than a Dog.Broke it up real fast. Now I'm taking Allopurinol to keep it under control.

big rockpile

13. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Took Allopurinol for about 3 years then just decided to live with it. I've cut down pork but still enjoy the occasional BBQ. I have no problem with chicken or eating raw fruit. My doctor said increase water intake by 5 8oz glasses a day. That does seem to have made a difference.

TEST the foods that set yours off. Then avoid them. Research-trial & error-Results. Works for fortune 500 companies should work for you too. :)

14. jenzden

jenzden Active Member

My husband gets gout every now and then. He talked to the local health food shop owner and he recommended alfalfa tablets. These tablets were 550 mg. I can't remember how many he was to take in a day but three is sticking in my mind. Perhaps you could ask your local health food store about it. When my husband would take it he would get relief in a day or two. He also thought it was helping his toenail fungus.

15. stef

stef Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there anything in apple cider that could exacerbate gout?
    I have arthritis, but suddenly this week it moved from my back and knees to my left ankle and feet. The tip of the right big toe feels like I have a splinter, but there's nothing to see.
    Been drinking a lot of apple cider lately. That's the only change in what's a fairly varied diet.
    Thanks for your input.
    Stef

16. seedspreader

Wow, talk about a blast from the past!

I know that many people claim that apple cider VINEGAR and cayenne pepper is a remedy for a gout flair up, but not sure about apple cider being a trigger food.

But that's the wonderful thing about gout, it is different with different folks. If apple cider causes a potassium loss it could help trigger the gout also. AND alcohol can trigger it also is there any chance that there is any alcohol content in your cider?

17. stef

stef Well-Known Member Supporter

The cider was still very sweet and fresh tasting.
    Stef

18. mamakatinmd

mamakatinmd Well-Known Member

My husband suffers gout. He does not want to be on meds. He upped his daily water intake. If he starts to feel a twinge he ups it even more. It seems to have worked for him. (He has not changed his alcohol or food intake in any way)

19. al

al Well-Known Member

Had my first flare up 20+ years ago. Doc gave me cortizone shot plus two meds, one was for four times a day and other one was for daily. Meds made it worse. Got a tip from a friend about celery seed. Tried it and since I don't like celery, (that stuff isn't fit for human consumption,) then tried the celery salt. That works great, use it on everything except oatmeal. No change in diet, no more flare ups. Even carry it when we go to the pig pickens.

20. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The only pork I'd heard was a problem was the cured bacons and hams. Probably because they dehydrate somewhat. I get gout, I don't especially watch what I eat, but I do drink more water now and only really have an attack if I dehydrate baddly. Gotta watch the combination of things in your diet, I like steak and kidney pie, but add brussle sprouts and wash it down with red wine and I'd be asking for trouble. I've been wondering if blood donation wouldn't help lower the risk of attacks. I knew someone years ago who had to donate blood monthly or his "arthritis" would near cripple him. So long as he went he was fine. A simple and useful cure???