gourd/watermelon questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bethlaf, Aug 23, 2004.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ok 2 questions ,
    1 i have moon and stares watermelon that were planted in june, is it reasonable to expect harvest from these this year, or am i right in my suspicion , that i basicly "wasted" seeds , to make my step kids happy ?

another question, about bushel gourds , i planted some in may, the vines are finally long enough , but i still havent seen any flowers set fruit , will they set fruit off of later flowers ?, like soem squash, having seperate "amle" and "female" flowers?
    first time growing them , and first time growing anything this far south ( keep in mind im a wisconsin native, so southern mo.(zone 6B) is all new to me )'

Thanks !!!!
    Beth

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Don't give up on the melons. I plant mine every year in April. The vines grow and grow. I have yet to have a single melon start growing until the end of July or later. Mine are just now getting melons on them. Have about a dozen big melons growing now.

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I think the most gourds and melons take 100 days to maturity. We normally would plant in april-may around here and expect a harvest in late summer. Are you noticing any flowers? What area are you in, and when does it start to cool down?

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yes both have flowers the watermelon have like 6 or 10 flowers on 6 plants ,

the gourds i looked at today , and theres 2 tiny little gourds ( these are bushel barrel gourds, they are supposed to get quite large)

i guess thats the thing, i know what zone i am in, but im not sure what my frost date should be, the first year it was 84 on my birthday ! ( october 4)