Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually grew a bushel gourd this year. First time one has ever come up let alone grow. Anyway according to all I have read, it is not ready to harvest yet but we are supposed to get below freezing and maybe some snow starting tomorrow. If I pull that thing today, do I have any chance of it finishing, or curing or whatever? Or is it just a wash?

·
Premium Member
25,223 Posts
Can you put some sort of tunnel or row cover over the whole plant?

As for the snow, depends on where you live. In a month or so the road through Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park will close for the winter. I've seen snow in Alaska in September.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure what you want to do with it but I raised a bunch of birdhouse gourds and when you picked them they would mold and rot. I found that if you drilled a whole in them they would air out and dry just fine. Don't know if that helps but sometimes you can't wait on them to field dry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I actually grew a bushel gourd this year. First time one has ever come up let alone grow. Anyway according to all I have read, it is not ready to harvest yet but we are supposed to get below freezing and maybe some snow starting tomorrow. If I pull that thing today, do I have any chance of it finishing, or curing or whatever? Or is it just a wash?
I would just leave it. My first couple of years growing gourds I lost many of them to rot. The third year I had to do a detail out of town for work and did not get back home until the end of December and all of my gourds were still in the field. I figured they would all be rotten. I picked them, put them in the barn and almost everyone of them were fine. What I learned is that I was losing many gourds because I did pick them to early. Now I wait until the vine is wasted away to almost nothing before I pick them. They do end up with more mold, but that cleans easily with a water/bleach solution and a scrub pad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts