Homesteading Forum banner

Gotter done!

786 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Frosted Mini's 
#1 ·
Well ALL 5 adult does came into heat yesterday and today. We had Mia and Zoe yesterday then this morning Trinket and Naomi where in standing heat and later this evening Thyme was as well. So far if everyone takes I will have all 5 does due between March 4th and 5th next year :). I will be sending in blood in 30 days to confirm pregnancy but I am excited!

Now I have almost 2 months before breeding starts for all the yearlings :happy2:. I feel very accomplished today though I did end up having to take TWO showers just to get the smell off me. Remind me next Spring I really DID want to have this many does kidding at the same time. I might forget and start crying :).

Justine

#4 ·
Alice I am thinking of investing in a cot to put out in the barn ;). GoatGirl123 they very well could cause a chain reaction in labor, I have seen it before :). But I figured I would rather have everyone kid around the same time and be done versus spreading it out over a few days or even a week or two.

I act like I planned for them to come into heat together, I didn't :happy2:. So I can't take credit for the happy coincidence, now if only all the yearlings do the same in November. I saw on Facebook that Mammabooh has 4 does due the same time as me so we both will be out in the barn just like this year :).

Justine

#6 ·
I love grouping does like this. More work for an extremely short amount of time, but you get all the kids at once. Means they're all on the same schedule, or at least a large group of them are. :D Makes kid management sooooo much easier. Congrats on breeding! Hoping to induce my girls to go into heat sometime around this next tuesday/wednesday... will be AI'ing 2 and live covering 2 of them. :D

Reactions: GoldenWood Farm
#7 ·
You guys need to talk to Sundae. If she would just GET WITH THE PROGRAM, all my does would be bred (two for two yesterday!) and I would be able to relax about this. Even the baby made weight sooner than expected AND went into heat all in one day! The fewer days I feel compelled to sleep in the barn, the better, ladies! :D

#8 ·
Yeah my does are not really showing interest in breeding right now either. I have 2 bred for December, 2 that were cidr'd and bred for tail end of Jan. I still have 11 to breed still. 3wearing cidrs and nobody else is coming in right now (yet) not even the Nigerians. I hope they do soon!

#9 ·
Oh I wish you great success on your A.I.'s Dona! I am with you on getting all the work done in a short time, just makes it easier and everyone grows so nice together :). And for Sundae, tell her she is being a diva and to come into heat already ;). Nancy this is the second heat the does came into but this was the first REALLY strong. Now all the kids (yearlings?) are being huge hussies. But I am waiting like I said to November depending on if everyone reaches size.

Justine

#10 ·
I don't know what you guys did, but Sundae has toed the line and is bred - now I've got my everything crossed that everybody settles on this go, and it's not just a false heat because I introduced a buck (shouldn't be... the timing is right for it to be a real one), because DANG, everybody due over the course of two days? Perfect!

#12 ·
I had 5 does' all deliver all in the same week one year & that about did me in!

I'm anxious to start breeding this year but so far I haven't noticed anyone in heat. I think I must have missed some but bringing 1 of the adult bucks over o the smaller pen that shares the does' fence line in the next couple days.
I don't think my new young buck that's in that pen now with a wethered buddy is stinky enough to provoke heat's yet I guess!

#13 ·
So speaking of things, how common, typically, is it for a doe to not settle on the first try? The way people talk about it it sounds like it's unusual to have to try again, barring extenuating circumstances. But I don't know what I'm talking about. :D

The Saanens were in heat again yesterday - apparently they can have a false heat when you introduce a buck and then a real heat five days later. So irritating. :bash: But, Sundae isn't in heat again today, so hopefully she will take on the first try, then Sundae will kid first followed by the other two, and that's not too bad. Still all due the same week. I just don't want to be bone tired and sleep deprived for too long on a stretch. :D

#14 ·
If the buck is healthy and the doe is healthy, and it's a natural heat, first time should do it. I would begin suspecting something wrong with the buck/the doe if it takes more than one service...

On induced heats/AIs, it's very common for does to not settle - though live cover still pretty good I've found. I wouldn't be as startled if an induced, live cover doe wasn't pregnant as I would a natural heat doe. AI is only so good as the semen handling ability, inseminator ability, timing, and a lot of luck. :) For me, I also AI on induced heats and do mostly timed heats. I've had 50% success rates over all, but I've only been doing it 2 years. I'll be AI'ing again on Weds and I'll let you know how it goes in approximately 33 days, lol.

#15 ·
If your does have not had a previous heat this year, it is fairly common for them to have a kind of start up heat that isn't a real heat the first time. And then short cycle for the real deal. This will happen for a lot of species with their first heats ever and for seasonal breeders coming out of anestrus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.