Gotta make Ice cream!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trnubian, May 26, 2006.

1. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

We FINALLY have enough milk for us to use some. (All the kids were sucking it down! :p )

Since this is the holiday weekend we need to make some Goat milk ice cream. Sadly we have never done this before! Can you believe that? After about 8 years of milking I have never made goat milk ice cream! :blink:

We all like the milk and to cook with and everything, but go figure!

So, I need some recipies for goat milk icecream.

Anyone got any tried and true?

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Here's what we do.
    We use 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of goat-milk yogurt. This makes it creamier and gives it more flavor. The I usually add about 1/2 cup of sugar, a little vanilla, sometimes mint, sometimes chocolate chips.

We use one of the electric ice cream makers, where you freeze the bowl beforehand, so you don't need to use salt and ice, etc. It always turns out quite good. It's better when it's first made, then after being left in the freezer.

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

This is French Vanilla Ice Cream:
    2 cp sugar,1/4 cp cornstarch, 1/4 tes salt, 8 cps milk,4 eggs,2 Tbl vanilla.

Mix sugar cornstarch and salt in top of double boiler. Gradually wisk in 4 cps milk, cooking over the boiling water, stirring until it thickens, 12-15 min.

In separate bowl beat the eggs well and add a small amount of the hot milk mix, stirring constantly so that the eggs do not curdle.

Then add all the egg mix into the milk mix and continue to cook for another 4-5 min. stirring constantly. Chill overnite.

Pour the custard mix,vanilla and the rest of the milk (4 cps) into the ice cream freezer and follow directions for your freezer.

Makes 3 pints, Enjoy! To change flavor, just omit vanilla and add your favorite flavor or fruit.

jr05