gotta love nubians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by peakfarms, Jan 3, 2005.

1. peakfarms

peakfarms Member

This fall we had lost our buck to worms. It was our fault, but once sick he went real quick. At this time, very upset, my husband said we were going to get out of the goat business, sell our herd etc etc.
    He complained that Nubians had a tendency to be a weaker breed, got sick to easy yada yada. I just fired back that we knew that going in, but we loved the breed none the less.
    Anyway, I had a doe go into labor. This is a very large Nubian doe. This was a doe that I was considering culling from my group. She didnt quit have the warmest personality, and she has lopsided udders ( they dont hurt her milk production, avg 12 - 13 lbs a day when we bought her).
    I assisted during the labor, and helped deliver a beautiful doe. The doeling is absolutly georgous. I have never seen such a beautiful baby. And I have to admit, the mom is a great mom, and absolutly patient. I can milk her anywhere and she waits patiently, doesnt even have to be on a stand.
    Anyway, I get to keep my herd. I am so excited. And Im keeping the doe. We have a much better understanding of eachother, and are closer.
    Just had to share my story.
    Regina

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm glad you get to keep your herd. I couldn't imagine having to get rid of my nubiX babies. I love them so much.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

AW. Great story. Glad you get to keep them. I like my goats a LOT more than most people!!!

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Tell your husband this is why I like Nubians

1. nubians are less prone than the swiss breeds to having problems with mineral deficiencies
    2. nubian milk tastes better and is higher in butterfat
    3. nubians are easier to sell
    4. nubians, with their tendency towards a sloped rump, tend to have less kidding problems
    5. nubians are easier keepers as far as keeping weight on while milking