Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I bought a case of 10-40 and a case of 5-30 quarts when they were on sale. A couple of days ago I did an oil change on the Bronco. I opened the case of 5-30 and it was synthetic blend. The box said it was straight oil, not blend. I had already drained the old oil out. I had a choice, do I put in 10-40 or the 5-30 blend? No other car and 20 miles from any place I could buy oil. I have always used straight oil since the truck was new and didn't want to use the blend. I didn't want the 10-40 in for the winter either so I put in the blend.

I know the blend is supposed to be better and more expensive but that has not been my experience. I had one of the rapid oil change places change the oil once and forgot to tell them I wanted straight oil. They put in the blend and the oil pressure gauge went from dead center in the normal range to the bottom of the normal range within a block. It has stayed there since.

What do you think? Am I OK with the blend in there? Should I return the other 6 quarts and get straight oil or eventually use them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Synthetic blend oil is OK to use, it is designed to be able blend with regular synthetic oil, regular oil doesn't mix well with synthetic oil

·
Registered
424 Posts
Synthetic blend oil is OK to use, it is designed to be able blend with regular synthetic oil, regular oil doesn't mix well with synthetic oil
So exactly how do you think they got that synthetic blend you talk of? Synthetic will mix fine with dino and synthetic blend. They all meet the same standards...

·
DAV,USN MM1/SS
467 Posts
You can always use a 5w 40. The 5w means it has a pour point of -35. It is still fluid at that temp. The heavy weight is the shear point. So I run 5w-40 year round shell T6 wife's car calls for 5w-30 It runs cooler and quietier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure of when ford changed their oil pressure gauges, but I know that since the late 80s or early 90s the gauges are actually a dummy. It is a 7 psi switch with a resistor in line to make the gauge read in the middle of it's range.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'96 Bronco. Why did the gauge drop to the low end of normal if it's set up to read either the middle or zero? It has said the low end for thousands of miles. If the oil pressure was zero I expect the engine would have blown up long ago.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'm pretty sure the 96 would be a dummy guage, and any change in resistance could cause it to change. you could always install an aftermarket guage to be able to read the actual pressure.

as for the oil, i would just go ahead and run it

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Been running a synthetic blend in my van since we first changed the oil over 10 years ago.
Now that is what I call good oil :thumb: Wish mine would last ten years :sing:

I use what Ford recommends they have spent tons of money on developing these motors and oils so why would I try to second guess them :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
LOL, not the SAME oil! Just a synthetic blend, changed when needed or sometimes a bit longer than recommended.

I've got a cousin that never changed his oil. He would replace the filter every 2000 or 3000 miles and top off as needed. Had over 100,000 miles on his truck and it still ran great when he sold it. Not something I would take a chance on but at the time he had more money than sense.

I don't think the manual for the van specifies a specific type, just weight. I don't have it in front of me now.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
LOL, not the SAME oil! Just a synthetic blend, changed when needed or sometimes a bit longer than recommended.

I've got a cousin that never changed his oil. He would replace the filter every 2000 or 3000 miles and top off as needed. Had over 100,000 miles on his truck and it still ran great when he sold it. Not something I would take a chance on but at the time he had more money than sense.

I don't think the manual for the van specifies a specific type, just weight. I don't have it in front of me now.
Ah I just couldn't resist :sing: If is is a Ford Van it would be their 5w20 synthetic blend . I know a guy that uses Amsoil 0w30 straight synthetic running the two oil filter system changes one filter at 7,500 miles adds a quart then changes both filters and oil at 15,000 miles .

My diesel truck starts a lot easier in winter with straight synthetic in it too.

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
IIRC, it's 5w30. Older van. I like the Valvoline high mileage oil. Been using that for 8 years.

Cousin had a Dodge truck, diesel. Not sure of the year but he put a lot of miles on it in the short time he owned it.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
IIRC, it's 5w30. Older van. I like the Valvoline high mileage oil. Been using that for 8 years.

Cousin had a Dodge truck, diesel. Not sure of the year but he put a lot of miles on it in the short time he owned it.
Dodge would had the Cummings in it the older ones would run 4 to 5 hundred thousand miles near trouble free . My Ford has the non turbo 7.3 International but at present has very low miles at 126 thousand on it . It is a F250 89 and every device on it still works as good as day one . It is set up to pull a 37' neck over trailer plus has the cushion spring loaded bumper hitch on it too.

·
Premium Member
25,272 Posts
I've got a wimpy little 5.4 in the van. 132,000 at present. Low mileage for an '00. Just replaced the drivers window motor and the shifting lever inside the column. There's a long list of replacements and modifications. So glad dh is a good mechanic!

·
Born city, love country
438 Posts
For some people, not much money is required I guess.....:sing:

Way back when I was a mechanic, I had a customer come in with a blown engine. The block and head (4-banger) were caked with burned oil. 38,000 miles on the original oil AND filter. They honestly did not know.

They got a lecture and hefty bill from that one. I would have to say that new/clean oil is better even if it is not the first choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts