Got to garden! Containers here I come

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sweetgal, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sweetgal

Sweetgal Well-Known Member

Montana but traveling full time in travel trailer
    Well, I've made it to Montana, my dream location, however I am still in town and not able to have the garden of my dreams too. I have spring fever bad and since I live in a four unit apartment building I do have some space to put out containers. As long as the deer don't find out and tell their buddies I'll at least be able to grow some veggies this year. Oh do I long for the days when I'll be able to really get digging in the dirt and put in all sorts of veggies. So far I've decided on some bush beans, spinich, radishes, green onions, and maybe a tomato plant or two. I haven't seen any tomato plants around yet probably too early so I might give starting from seed indoors a try, although I've got limited window and sun opportunities in my apartment. Faces north/south so I get some sun in one window in the morning and some in the other in the afternoon. I have to work outside the home so can't spend time except a lunch to move any plants that need all day sun so it could be interesting.
    Any ideas on good tomatoes for this area would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind trying some heirloom ones but don't know of the sources for such things.
    Well here's to my intrepid spirit of venturing into the realm of container gardening in the Big Sky Country.

I'll try to keep you posted on the adventure.
    Sweets

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to Montana! Yes, it's a bit early to be putting tomatoes out, and that's why you don't see them for sale. Where I live, the last average frost date is not until May 15, and most of the state is that or even later, depending on your elevation.

I really like Husky Red for container growing, and the only heirloom that really works for me is Brandywine. Our August nights can get down to 45° or so, really too cold for most heirlooms; only Brandywine seems tolerant of these less than optimum temperatures.

There is a lot of good information on this forum about growing in containers; you might also check with your local Extension office for a lot of good information particular to our climate.

Best to you!

3. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the move! I only know of a couple of seed catalogs that sell for cold climates. One is Pinetree Garden Seeds www. superseeds.com and the other is Territorial Garden Seeds www.territorialseed.com
    Territorial sells a great tomato called Oregon Spring. It was developed by a man at the University of Oregon. It withstands the cooler evening temps of the Cascades and produces in 55 days from seed. Pinetree is in Maine and they have several varieties for cold climates.....just be sure to look for open-pollinated varieties. I'm sure that there are more......this is just what I'm familiar with. You can also purchase organic starts from Territorial!
    Happy gardening and Brightest Blessings,
    Leanna

4. Sweetgal

Sweetgal Well-Known Member

Montana but traveling full time in travel trailer
    Thank you both for the replies.
    I'm in Helena so it's not as high in elevation as some places but I'm not
    sure when the last frost date is here. Guess I'd better look into that. :shrug:
    I just put some pepper seeds and some bush beans into peat pellets and have them sitting next to my heater (the only heat source in my apartment). I keep talking to them and hoping they will sprout. I also put some onion sets into a pot that sits by an east facing window. No green yet but I'm ever hopeful.
    I am just so glad to be here in Montana now and I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.
    Thanks and Blessings,
    Sweets