Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first Doe last week and received a Buck yesterday. I put them together twice today. She wasn't to accepting, but they did mate. I've ordered a book from Amazon, but now I have to wait for delivery until next week. Should I put them together again soon? How long should they have been together. The second time, I took her out because she started to get mean with him. :flame: And she was licking on him before that.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I don't leave the doe in with the buck for any significant period of time and I always observe. I will usually breed the doe twice in one day, morning and evening, though I have had occasional does that would object to the evening attempt.

I put the doe in with the buck, wait until a breeding has definitely taken place (the characteristic final thrust and fall-over-on-the-side by the buck) and then the doe goes back to her cage.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
SFM has a very good point about monitoring the breeding pair. I also take the doe back to the buck a few times, but don't go more than 24 hours between the first observed breeding and the last visit of the doe to the buck.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Somtimes its a matter of leaving them together for a day if shes not eccepting. I have never had a problem leaving them together, but I only do this with rabbits I know. I trust all my rabbits temperments.

You should introduce them twice. One in the morning and then once at night. Or you could just leave them together for an hour or three. That always works.....for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I usually leave them together for about half an hour and stay and watch in case she gets nasty and also to make sure the deed gets done. Most times there is a mating of between two to four times. I always put them together in the morning, I have had no luck with afternoon matings, usually neither of them show a lot of interest in the afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts