got the Itch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KSALguy, May 3, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i have the "i want rabbits again" itch pretty bad lol, i found a pet store who has some babie bunnys that are JUST what i would love to have but they are $30 each, so thats helping me keep from scratching the itch,
    and i have not been able to make the trip down to florida to the sale that has rabbits, and with the gas prices the way they are now i dont think i will be going anytime soon,

BOY that itch is hard not to scratch lol, just have to keep telling my self i dont need any right now, i dont need any right now, i dont need any right now.

is it working??

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Maybe just get a couple of young $5 bunnies around close to you to keep the itching down till you get what you want, then let them breed a few times, have a bunch of babies, buy tons of feed and that itch may completely go away. :) :) Just kidding, but you have probably been there before and know what I am talking about. I think that this my third or fourth time to have bunnies over the past 30 years.

3. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I would try really hard to stay away from pet store bunnies and not just because of the price. Usually pet store bunnies are not very high quality and are extremely over priced. Of course this is just my opinion.

Find a way to scratch that itch without going to the pet store. Do they have any small animal swaps in your area? Check the feed stores and ask them if they know of anyone raising rabbits. Since they sell the feed, they can usually recommend someone.

4. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Be careful, friend of mine decided to buy a rabbit at a flea market, and it had snuffles and had to be put down. Problem is she has other rabbits and we trade breedings, now that won't be happening for awhile until I'm certain her rabbits don't have it. She just told me yesterday so its fresh in my mind, just a thought.

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

well, I got three bunnies through freecycle. the fourth I got at Tractor Supply for 5 bucks ( marked down from 9)--actually, dollars, not bucks--- :sing: My most expensive was the first "free" bunny-- went to vet straigh away, and then had surgery to remove and culture an abcess. Thank heavens he is a sweetie and intact!!

6. KSALguy

the bunnies at this pet store are sweet small type prolly mix breeds also there are some harliquin rex and some dutch, they are all young and cute, but i am not spending their asking price on young and cute,

yes i have had the itch before, and yes i have access to a small animal swap/sale but its down in florida about 45minets away, so i dont think i will be able to got for a little while,

unfortunatly there arent any feed stores that i have found (YET) in the area so i get the feed from WalMart but hopefully i will find where the actual country farm stores are and can ask around

7. Al. Countryboy

I have a friend that I think bought some of the smaller breeds from a lady that shows and I think that she may live in your area. I think she has the small lops.

8. KSALguy

hmmmmm tempting very tempting lol, i am on the north side of Dothan, do you happen to remimber how much she charged?

9. Al. Countryboy

I will ask him about the price. I believe he gave less than the price you mentioed. He got one doe very cheep with another doe. She gets mean as a snake when she has babies and will bite you. Hope that she doesn't pass these traits do to her offspring.

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hey, think of it this way...for the $30 the pet store charges, you could get a young show-quality rabbit...or a young adult rabbit that's breeding quality. I once saw some show-quality young adult Mini Rex going for $5 at a show.

So no, the pet store really isn't the best place to get a rabbit if you're concerned about economics.

11. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Rabbitgals right, hit some shows, most likely you'll pay less and get better rabbits. Go to the ARBA site and look up events in your area.