Got the itch...looking for does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Oct 16, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

We are in South central Indiana--about 45 north west ofLouisville KY. We have three does, but would like to see our little herd grow to between 6-9 milking does this year.
    We aren't interested in showing our animals, but good health and proven milk production(with nice udders/teats) would be our priority. Also tasty milk :)
    Perhaps a health, nicely producing doe that just doesn't have what it takes to win ribbons.....as price would come into the equation for us. I know"ya get what ya pay for", but since we aren't interested in showing--I thought we might be able to find something in our price range :rolleyes:

Anybody know of anything like this, anywhere around us?

We also might be willing to do a Jersey cow trade for the right does:)

Blessings,
    Christina

2. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

you might want to pm wendy, she's in southeast indiana and has nubians and I think she posted she'd like a jersey. I think there are some numbers after her name but you can find posts from her in this forum.

3. dk_40207

Thanks! I found her and PMed her. Anyone else?;)

Have a great day!

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

trnubian is in Indiana, she has beautiful Nubians :)

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

My business partner and I have purchased 3 doelings this year from Sherrie C in Indiana, you can find her on here and also on dairygoatinfo.com email me if you can't find her and I will give you her email. Vicki

6. frogdog

frogdog Guest

Start here:

http://www.adga.org/clubs.htm#IN

Call them, and ask for local contacts. You might consider an older (but not geriatric) doe. The way I see it, a serious breeder does not have room to hang onto so-so does... so, any doe that has been kept long enough to be possibly replaced by a kid/grandkid is a doe that earned her place quite well. Arrange to freshen her with a quality buck for replacement/additional does.

Also, check the website of the breed club for the breed you are interested in.

http://www.adga.org/breedclubs.html

Check their membership directory, and see if there is a local member you can talk to.

Another place you may consider checking are the local 4-H/FFA clubs. A parent is likely to be very helpful in finding you a good doe, especially if they have seen the "keeper" list of this years kids steadily growing longer and longer ;-)

Call classified listings. If they show their does (and/or the does are from good milking stock), they probably know other people with quailty stock. If you see a listing for dairy goats, but it's not the breed you're looking for...call anyway. There's a chance they know someone that has what you're wanting.

Be clear about what you're looking for! I got one of my LaMancha does and my dairy ewe by calling on ads that listed kids or adult sheep for sale. Neither were originally for sale. Anyone that has kids has does also and if they have does, there's a chance they have considered selling one but just never got around to it. In both cases, the ad was for the breed I was looking for, but not specifically what I wanted (ie, looking for adult doe, but listing is for kids). It never hurts to ask.

Good luck with your search!!
    Liz

7. dk_40207

Thanks so much for the links:) I'm going to look at 3 today if the weather is agreeable.

8. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Best of luck!! Wish I could help but all milkers I will have are already spoke for. Seems like everyone wants my saanens lately! HAHA!! Let me know if you are unable to find anything though and I'll see what I can dig up for ya. For those who milk and show it might be hard as like me most are drying up the ones that don't need to be milked. I've dryed up a total of 5 so far and am still milking 3 but trying to dry up one more but she just doesn't wanna agree with me on that! HAHA!!
    Best of luck on em!! Let us know how you like those 3. Are you wanting to milk 3-4? Goodness girl you guys must really use the milk!! LOL!!

9. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

She sold her herd. :-(

10. frogdog

frogdog Guest

No problem. Hope the weather co-operated alright.

Is it a particular breed that got you "hooked"? Or just goats in general?

Just wondering....

Liz and the "variety pack":
    2 LaManchas
    1 Alpine (pet/brood doe)
    1 Nubian
    1 "Experimental" (7/8 Togg,1/8 Saanen)
    1 Fainter
    1 Boer doe
    1 very happy Boer buck :happy:
    1 dairy ewe
    & American Blackbelly and Painted Desert Sheep

11. dk_40207

Frogdog--I guess you could say we are into the "variety pack" too! We got some saanens from Jessie and love them. In the next few days I have saanens, alpine, nubian, and toggenburg :) Variety is the spice of life--is it not? I guess I'll have a favorite in a year or so...

Hey Jessie--I didn't know you had doeling for sale this year! I would love to have a few more saanens(but not w/ Nannys genes!!) You know us--we can't afford a superb fancy shmancy bloodline doeling--but don't want a cull either. A nice unregistered gal w/ good genes is right up our ally:) And we do love milk. In fact, I think we might all starve if we didn't have our dairy products! I bet we can drink a gallon of milk a day at least--then there is yogurt, icecream, sour cream, cheese, butter, cream cheese--the list goes on.
    I'm also sure that my daughter will want to start showing them in 4H.......

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I had no idea...