Got soy?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by DocM, Dec 13, 2006.

1. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I agree that the health benefits of soy can be taken to the extreme, at which point they can become potentially damaging -- anything in excess is not good for you, but this article is hilarious.

The author seems to believe that an excess of estrogen is responsible for sexual orientation. I agree that it can cause health issues (excesses of estrogen in women can culminate in breast and ovarian cancer), but it's like anything else -- an excess of ANY hormone or chemical in your system isn't good.

Too much estrogen in a man's body doesn't "make" him homosexual -- just as too much potassium doesn't "make" you a banana.

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I guess that goes to show why Bill Nye is "the science guy" and Jim Rutz is not.

Lynda

4. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I'd require research to back up the homosexual angle of his article. I thought soy formula was a relatively new thing...

On the other hand, I'm glad that people are starting to question whether or not soy is good for them. I've researched the issue in the past and I'm of the opinion that soy should be treated as a supplement and NOT a food.

RedTartan

5. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think it's very new. My sister (born in 1973) was fed soy formula.

6. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

Okay Mom, I guess it is your fault!! Feeding me all that soy! :shrug:

Did you notice the author is leader of "Open Church Ministries"? When he falls off the pulpit, guess he will check into "soy" rehab"!

Don

7. Lisa in WA

Yes, I'm not sure why we should be taking his word for it. He doesn't actually cite any reliable clinical studies. This is an good article:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010815082648.htm
    The idea is an interesting one. Another question would be why it wouldn't affect Asian men who ingest huge quantities of soy traditionally. The largest overpopulation problems are in Asian countries. So the plumbing must be working okay there...

8. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

that's an interesting point, Lisa!
    Maybe we should ask him why Asian men are immune.

Don

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Immune, no. Closeted, yes. Been to a gay bar lately? Full of cute asian boys.

10. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

Okay....I've just picked myself off the floor. (Laughing Hysterically)!!!!

And he gets his information, WHERE??

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sassa

11. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I think there's some truth to it.

In my personal experience, I do love the taste of soy, and started having post-menopausal problems from drinking too much soy milk. When I quit drinking it, within a couple of days I was sleeping way better and not getting the hot flashes.

Asian people do eat soy, but in moderation, like they do all things. They don't drink soy milk, and they don't feed soy to their infants. They have some tofu and some fermented soy.

I would definitely think twice about soy baby formula and I won't be drinking soy milk again. I still have some soy cheese every few days, and occasionally I eat tofu.

12. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

Yes, Dennis and I went this past weekend. I was not denying there weren't gay asians. My post was in response to the article.

Don

13. Lisa in WA

Asians don't do anything in excess? That sounds strange. They do actually drink soy milk in Japan, China and Singapore.

14. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

"testosterone is suppressed by an excess of estrogen. "

Actually, my husbands doc says that the male body breaks estrogen down and turns the estrogen into testosterone. So, if they wish to increase a man's testosterone levels, the doctors give him estrogen.

There may be a VERY GOOD REASON why he gives no credits for his statements!

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Well, in my experience with WND, citing actual research doesn't seem necessary to their articles. And gosh, the publication is quoted all OVER this site! I'm just goin' with the flow.

16. Lisa in WA

So how come they give male transsexuals estrogen to feminize them?

17. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Maybe they should switch to soy. Whatever it is they give them now sure doesn't work very well.

18. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I spoke badly. I MEANT he doesn't cite the research articles!

Either that or I missed 'em. And, I REFUSE to look at that site again! :p

As for why they give transexuals estrogen to feminize them I do not know. Could it make a difference if they have no family jewels???? :shrug:

19. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

This is idea is so ridiculous I'm amazed anyone could take it seriously. Homosexuality has been around a lot longer than soy milk. I doubt Alexander the Great or Socrates drank it. About 10% of the human population is homosexual, far more babies are exposed to soy milk. Gee, maybe this nut also thinks soy milk will prevent a woman from becoming a lesbian.

20. Lisa in WA

I don't agree with the article but I don't see that he says that all homosexuality results from eating soy.