Got some pygmies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Chuck, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

My insurance agent brought me six goats yesterday. I love West Virginia. :)

Anyway, I already have five boers. What happens if my boer billy breeds the pygmies? I'm kinda worried. I want to have the goats bred, but don't want them hurt.

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

PLEASE dont let your boer breed your pygmes. If they survive the pregnancy , I am sure they wont survive a delivery! The Boer (if hes a typical boer) is way too big for the pygmies (being typical pygmies). I breed larger does to a smaller or same size buck only (I dont breed for meat). This makes for easier deliveries.

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

That's kinda what I thought. Can I, then, breed a pygmy buck to a boer doe? :)

4. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I agree, go for it!! i wonder what the babies will look like? lol

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

You could give him a little step stool, or maybe attach some stilts to him ;) Opposites do attract, my hubby is 6'4, I'm 5'2 :eek:

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I would not think that breeding a male pygmy with a female boer would be a good idea, for two reasons. Number one boer goats are breed for meat, and pygmies are breed as, well, pets/ milk goats, and breeding them would mean that instead of having, say, regestered boers that would sell for quite a bit, you have a mixture, not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that it is just that that would basiclly be a waste of a breeding. And Number two, and probly most important, when the babies are born, they probly won't be able to nurse, TOO SHORT, we had a couple goats born TOO BIG this year, and one born TOO SMALL last year, both are MAJOR PAINS IN THE BUTT> Well that is about all that I have to say for right now, see ya bye.

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Actually pygmies are a meat breed, not a milk breed at all. You will have no problem with this breeding. Kinders are a cross between registered pygmy bucks, which are teeny tiny things, and Nubian Does. Even if they couldnt nurse, you could always bottle feed. This probably wont even need to be done, as the boer in the cross will cause the size of the babies to go up.
    You may need to back the boer doe up to a straw bale and teach the pygmy buck how to use the extra height to his advantage! he will probably catch on quickly.
    I do agree, however, that you will have to sell the kids for less than if they were pure.