Got some good news today!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Feb 21, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

My boss told me that a new world record for dairy production recently was set, and the record-setter was sired by a bull who is out of the same cow that my Twister is out of. WOW!!! :eek:

He had told me awhile back that one of Twist's half-brothers is in the A.I. program. I guess this cow is one of his daughters.

I'm gonna try to get the details from him tomorrow. :)

Also, I had thought both of Twist's calves born on the farm were stillborn, but I guess only the second was, as Mark told me one of the young bulls he just started running with his cows is out of my cow.

(I had assumed if she has a bull calf I'd band him and sell him as a steer, but now I'm wondering if I might get a better price if I leave him intact?)

He also volunteered to help me get Twist's calf registered if it's a heifer.

I dropped the hint again that I'd like to have Twist's registration papers if he can find them. I'm really curious about her bloodlines now! He did mention today that he thought she was sired by Metro.

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Great news and just too cool. :)

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks Haggis. I just HAD to brag about my big girl! :cool: :haha:

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

So do we have to guess the breed of this record setting milker?

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Holstein, Slev! :D

I think I may have found the story on a website, but I'm going to check with Mark today and find out what that sire's name is, just to be sure.

BTW, my boss also gave me another raise yesterday! Just a quarter, but it was nice since I didn't even ask for it. :)

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OK, here's the scoop!
    http://dairyline.com/releases/011305ss.htm

Prices Cleitus Bess-ET is Twister's dam. :)

7. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I always knew that Twister had a special place in my heart!! I've been rooting for her with this current pregnancy, so it was great news to hear that she did have one previous live birth. How much longer til the due date?

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks Christina!!!

Both the girls are due the end of July.

Teeny is getting REALLY huge already, which kinda scares me ... last time her mother calved, she had TWINS!!! (Do twins run in families? *gulp!*)

Twist was already such a big girl that she's just now starting to look a little podded out.

9. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

wow 276 pounds of milk in one day thats like having a 138 pound calf in the morning and again at night.....does any body know exactly how many gallons that is just wondering... it would take me all day and night to milk out that much no sure my figurering but if milk is 8 pounds to gallon thats 34.5 gallons a day

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

8.6 pounds of milk to a gallon.
    I actually read that article in one of the dairy magazines we get. Would have been the Select Sires booklet.

Twins do tend to run in families aparently.

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Holy moly! :eek:

12. dosthouhavemilk

They still are pretty rare in untampered with breeding though. Aparently if you use Ovi-Synch it will increase the twin numbers but won't always result in actual twins being born all the time.

We had one year when we had two sets of twins. A male/female set of twins that were purebred..with the heifer not completely formed so she died within an hour after birth (thankfully) and twin heifers out of Loren (purebred) and El Tigre (half and half). Frida and Freya are both pregnant for the second time and they both had heifers their first lactation.

13. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I used OvSynch ... now I'm really wondering! :(

Well if she has twins, twins it will be ... hopefully healthy, and no freemartins!

Teeny's momma, a cow I call Stacey, had a mixed gender pair around September. Gosh, I almost took the little heifer home ... she was all white with just a few black speckles here and there. A real cutie! They were quite large for twins, too, and healthy. :)

There have been at least 3 sets of twins born on the farm where I work in the past year. Probably the best cow in the herd had a pair of heifers about a year ago, but one didn't make it. A shame, as my boss bragged they were worth $5,000 each when they hit the ground.

Going back to the subject of that cow milking 276 pounds in a day, I wonder if they're milking 3x? I honestly can't imagine a cow with an udder big enough to hold 16 gallons of milk!

Although Twist is a very large cow, tipping the scales at 1910 pounds when I bought her, so I suppose it could be possible ... :confused:

14. dosthouhavemilk

We only use Lutalyse on older heifers being pregnancy checked. If they are confirmed open and close enough to coming into heat we will Lut, then we know when to breed them.
    We have a cross that was giving around 100 lbs. a day with 2X a day milking..I would imagine hat cow would need to be milked at least three times a day.

How large is the farm you work at again? How many cows?

15. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is true but if you have a set of twins that are male and female, the female is suppossed to be sterile. Something about sharing hormones with the male. So wouldn't twins be a bad thing unless of course they were both female, which is like a 25% chance.

16. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yup Quail, the female twin born in a mixed-gender birth is called a freemartin and odds are something like 97% she will be sterile.

That little girl of Stacey's was just so darned cute, though! :waa:

The farm I work at usually has 150-170 cows milking, plus the dry cows and heifers. I milk in a double-four herringbone parlor. The cows are freestalled.

17. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

P.S. The other bad thing about twins is that they're likely to be smaller and thus weaker than a single birth. Also, I'd guess they're probably more prone to being premature, another risk factor. :(

18. dosthouhavemilk

Twins are definitely not something you want to see.
    The reason I was okay with the heifer dieing was because otherwise someone may have bought her at a sale and raised her up only to find she was a freemartin.

You should have heard the words that came out of my mouth when I fouind Loren with two calves on the ground! I was not pleased at all. I checked one, a heifer, and then I was hoping against hope that the otehr one was a heifer too. Sure enough, number two was also a heifer. Could not believe she had twin hefiers that big, she had barely looked like she was carrying one good sized heifer. :haha:
    Then it was a waiting game. Our last set of twin hefiers were both sold as four year old heifers. :no:
    These two heifers settled to their second AIings and they were the first of El Tigre's offpsring to join the herd. Very exciting!

19. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yikes! Did you have a breeding exam done? Any idea what the prob was?

My best friend has a Jersey cow that has never calved, and she's been running with a bull for 3 years now. I suspect she may have been a freemartin, although Carol bought her as a calf from someone she believed she could trust. :(

20. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

That article you mentioned, is the one I was talking about in select sires little book. When I saw the two names, its them. The animal had a peak lactation of 276lbs a day! But the little paper I got has a picture of the cow. It has a very deep body, teats aren't aligned all that well, and are fairly narrow. But yep, thats the one. I'll find the article and scan it..

Jeff