Got some decent prices at the auction

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Jun 3, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Sent two steers on Tuesday to the local auction barn, well one of them. I received for yearlings (these guys have Jersey in their bloodlines). One was 500 or so, he brough 1.11lb. The other steer was 650lbs, he brought .93lb. So all in all I averaged about 1.02lb.

Funny, you can keep those animals for 2 years, and get less. The best weight seems to be 500lbs.

Jeff

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Prices have been hear good also. We don't sell through auction, but fatten the few calves we have and sell them. We just sold a longhorn/hereford cross steer that graded high choice/low prime and received $2.00 hanging weight. I just sold off 10 bred heifers last fall because I wasn't able to get rented pasture back and wouldn't you know it the owner of the pasture called in March and wanted to know if I still wanted it. I could have made some good money since pasture rent is only $6.00/month.

Bobg

3. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jeff,

You should attend a seminar that has Kit Pharo as a speaker. Our county extension office and the state conservation office had him. He preaches how the difference in cost between small calves and large calves and the higher prices for the small calves can increase your profitability.

I went to our local auction and verified what he said. I saw 300# calves bring $1.48 while 800# calves brought under a dollar. Do the math. Figure what it costs to get them from 300 to 800.

He has a web site where you can read some of his stuff. Search for Pharo Cattle. He is involved mostly with Angus, but the rules apply across the board.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm