Got our pigs today!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by BobK, May 28, 2006.

1. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Picked up this years butcher pigs....one Duroc and two Hamps......two gilts and a barrow.....a bit pricey but I am glad to get them! Let the feeding begin!!

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

WE always do......... :)

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Congrats - it's a great feeling, isn't it? :) Pigs are high in Az also.

Niki

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We paid about a buck per pound....I would like to get the pigs when they are younger but this woman raises her litters for 4H project pigs and let's them grow a bit to see who is going to do what...she charges $300 per pig for project pigs.......the pigs we got were around 65lbs.......if I could find another source and get weaners I would jump on it......but I haven't found another source and she is only 15 minutes away so we paid the $$ and got are pigs......

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Yikes! $300 per pig - around here 4-h piglets start at $100 and go up from there. I think a $300 pig would be a pretty, super-spectacular specimen. The difference in appearance between the 'scrubs' that I raise for meat, and the show pigs I've seen is drastic.

Weaners here are at $75 each from a private seller - up from $60 six months ago, which was up from $50 the six months before that. If you paid a dollar a pound for 65lb pigs I think you did pretty well. My weaners were much lighter than that, so I guess I paid well over a dollar. Of course, I got a great little red hampshire (?) at the auction last weekend for $27.50, but I think that is because she was so tiny, nobody else saw her walk through! ;)

I really hate to be without at least a couple of pigs, and admit to having overpaid a time or two just to get them here.

Niki