Got our first homestead livestock!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Balancedmom2003, May 23, 2004.

1. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Well it is official. We got our first homestead livestock in this past week. It is a little baby duck. He is so cute. Right now he is black and yellow all over. When he grows up he will be white and black..... I believe his breed is Dobe? I am unsure. He was free from someone my aunt knows. I didn't get to ask the lady any questions about him. We are going to get some chickens from her also. It is so fun. Flapper is so cute!

Michele

2. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I think magpies are also black/yellow when young, then black/white as old. Not sure if thats a possibility. Congradulations, they are a lot of fun, and only having one duck would prevent a lot of the messes that they are so famous for. They are definatly cute, mine now are 3-4 weeks old, and the wings are still really small, so sometimes they try to flap them and nothing happens. Good Luck

3. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks Zuiko,

We are going to get some more. I am unsure if the same lady only had one duck or if she just sells the females and gives away the males. I will find out when we get the chicks from her. I loved watching him run around after my son(10) and my sister (9) yesterday. He followed them around as a puppy would. Cute as a button. We are also going to try to get a goose. My mama's dog has taken an interest in the duck. She had a few ducks a few years ago and the dog killed 2 or 3 of them. We are keeping a very close eye on him right now. I would like to get the goose to teach him a lesson. It is my understanding that they are great watch "dogs" and don't approve of 4 legged beasts messing with foul.

Michele

4. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Yeah Michele! Congratulations. My neighbor raised a single duckling once. It bonded to her, and didn't know it was a duck. She tried to put it in the pond when it was big enough, but it was lonesome, and didn't know what to do. It ended up living in the dog house with their rottweiler! It was really cute. They ate from the same bowl and everything. Poultry can be addictive! I started out with five hens, and now have 36 chickens, and two ducks. You'll love chickens. The day you get your first egg is nothing short of a miracle! When I got my first egg, I was so proud, you'd think I layed it myself!