Got new /old cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dcdalton, Sep 29, 2005.

1. dcdalton

dcdalton Active Member

We are getting ready to start raising meat rabbits. We had some friends of ours give us some rabbit cages to use. They have not been used in some time and need some repair work as well as a good cleaning. My question is, what is the best way to clean and disinfect the cages? Can we use a bleach solution or should we use something else?

2. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Bleach will more than likely corrode the metal. What I have heard recommended is a quick searing with a propane torch. Just don't hold it on there long enough to melt the welds of the wire. I do the same thing with questionable beehives.

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

A propane torch is the quickest, easiest way to sterilize a wire cage. If it has wood parts a bleach solution of 1/2 cup bleach to 1 gallon HOT water sprayed on the cage will work. An alternate is to scrub the cage with hot water and then leave it in the sun for a day. UV is a great sterilizer.

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If you don't have access to a propane torch and don't like to use bleach you can use hydrogen peroxide and/or 20 mule team borax.

If I were cleaning new to me cages I'd use 20 Mule Team Borax to scrub the cages out then spray them down with peroxide a few times while letting the cages get full sun for a day or two. If there is any residue left from either of these it will be less reactive to rabbits than bleach, especially if the wood is wet or damp when the rabbits are placed in the cage.