Got new goats for my birthday!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

Went to the Boer goat auction in Danville Ohio and got three new goats for my birthday. :dance:

First one is my new registered 100% Boer Billy "Joe"

[​IMG]

Next is a little Boer cross Doe

[​IMG]

Last is this Doeling.. Not sure what she is, so any input would be appreciated. I am hoping she will add some pretty color to my Boer herd.

[​IMG]

Laura
    Loda Farm

2. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

She looks like a little fainter cross. That was a huge auction up there, what was the consigner's name on that little one???

If she is a cross, if you breed her back to a fainter buck she'll throw kids that faint.

What a fun bday present ;-)

Andrea

3. Loda Farm

I am not sure who sold her, as she was brought out after the catalog was printed out. I thought fainter cross as well, as I have fainters too. I have a tri-colored fainter billy that I may breed her with next year. Right now my goal is to add a bit of color to the boer herd.

Laura

4. Loda Farm

Andrea,

Were you at the auction? Next time I go, I will have to find out if anyone from the board is going. I would be nice to put faces to the names. :)

Laura

5. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

:)

Her nose and front end 'attachments' don't look full fainter - they ring of boer - based on the pic I can see - but the wedge body shape, markings and ears - even horn shape are saying fainter... keep us utd on the cross back to the fainter when you do it!

Nice looking 'production' doe though!!!

Andrea

6. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

They are so cute, love the coloring of the white one with brown face and ears.

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Was that sale fun? I came real close to going but found this herd close by home so didn't have a good excuse to make it. Do you mind telling what you gave for the buck? I was just wondering what the prices were like. I woud have went up there with about $4000........ could you imagine what my DH's face would have looked like when I got home? I'd say a look of pure horror! HAHA!!

8. allenslabs

You do sound like me I forgot to mention that. For my birthday this year I bought 8 reg saanens and then for valentines day bought myself a reg saanen buck. Do I know how to pick a present for myself or what?! LOL!!

9. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

GREAT birthday present to yourself! That Boer buck looks real solid! Hey. MY birthday is coming up next month, and I was wondering what to get myself. Hmmm. I'm not wondering any more. Congratulations on the fine-looking additions to your herd.

NeHi Mama

10. Loda Farm

I paid $150.00 for him. Figured that was a pretty good price. He is only 7 months old, so that is why he went pretty cheap I imagine. He has some enoblements in his pedigree, as well as some EGGS blood, so I can't wait to see what he throws. He is registered with the International Boer Goat Assoc., so I need to see if I can get him into the ABGA. Anyone know? He is registered at 100%.

There was one Buck that went for over $1,000.00. One gorgeous mature Buck only went for $150.00, he was definately worth over a grand. I think he only went so cheap because he was the first one to go. This boy was stacked, If I had the space to bring him home, I would have bid on him, he was just massive. If I was the cosignor on him, I woulda cried that he went at that price.

All in all, there were better prices if you were a buyer than if you were a seller. Some 100% reg does went for under $100.00. Had I known my Buck was going to be that cheap, I would bid on some of those does. My buck didn't some till toward the end though.

Laura

11. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law aways gets a kick out of the fact that I buy goats with the birthday/Christmas money she gives me. She tells people that most women would buy clothes or jewerly but her daughter-in-law buys goats! Wish I could get a buck around here for that price. Good luck with them.

12. allenslabs

Oh man I'm kicking myself@ I wish I had went up there now. I guess I shouldn't have asked.... LOL!!! Boy...... pretty little buck!!

13. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Laura, that is one NICE looking buck!! (I'm jealous) :angel:
    I wasn't able to go to that sale, had too many things to do this weekend. Sounds like it was a buyer's sale. Congrats!! The does are really cute too!