Got my very first piggy!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tobo6, Dec 15, 2003.

1. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Yeah, another forum I can start reading. :haha:

We got a little 20 lb. Yorkshire this weekend. How adorable she is too! My daughter and I picked her up and had her in a big "rabbit" cage in the back of our Honda car to take her home. Halfway home my daughter yells "The pig is escaping the cage" so here I am going 70 mph on the highway and I look in the rearview mirror and see our little pig walking back and forth in the rear window. I pulled over to the side of the highway and tell my daughter to get back there and get the pig. She starts opening the her door to go to the back and I scream "shut the door". I can just imagine us chasing the pig on the highway dodging the fast traffic! So my daughter turns around in the seat and tries to reach the pig and says she can't. I tell her to grab one of her legs and drag her out of the window. At this point it all gets hazy...I'm looking out the rear window with my head turned and I noticed that all the cars zooming by us are laughing and pointing at our car the next thing I know my daughters hand slips off of the pig she is struggling with and her elbow comes back and pops me in the nose. :eek: The pain was intense and the stars were very pretty that were dancing around my eyes! Finally we got the pig back in the cage. I wiped my eyes from crying with pain and my daughter wiped her eyes from laughing so hard. Why do 13 y.o dd's laugh when they say "I'm sorry,are you ok?"

The next problem was naming it. Everyone thought up cartoon character names. Finally decided on............Harley Hog after the motorcycle.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the future. Right now I'm trying to read all the post and the archives to see how everyone else raises their pigs. We will be butchering this one and I can't wait for all that pork. YumYum

mljjranch

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

If you are going to eat the pig don't fall in love with it,
    or you will have problems later, when it comes time to butcher
    You will not enjoy eating the pork pet.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I don't think that will be a problem. I've ate many animals I pampered as pets. Our freezer is full of our turkeys, rabbits, chickens. :)

mljjranch

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Aren't they fun!

Hey, my 13 yr old DD does the same thing! :haha: :haha:

5. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

the first pigs i remember rasing as a kid became pets in a hurry! The first meal of pork after butcher day, I remember turning to my mom and asking "do you think this is from smiley?". My mom about lost it but we laugh about it now.

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

LMAO that is too funny! You should have named it Hwy Or Freeway...

7. Congradulations on your first piggy. That is the breed I like to raise. There long bodied so you get a few extra pork chops to eat.