Got My Trees Ordered

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Dec 8, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got White Pine,Norway Spruce,Chinkapin Oak,Persimmon,Red Mulberry,Elderberry.175 altogether.I'm going to have fun this Spring :D

Looked at the Trees I've been planting most of them are doing good.

big rockpile

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are they shipping them in the spring when it planting time. With the warm weather we've been having they would probably do good if they were set out now. Your ground ain't wet is it? Or is the drought over by now?

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Uncle Will we're ahead on rain.Their coming in Febuary,I figure it will be cold and wet enough,stress won't be so bad.Plus it gives me time to get them in the ground before I'm busy with other stuff.

I get them through the Conservation Department.Less than $50 for all them.I sure love the Pine Trees.

big rockpile

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a double row of white pines on two sides of our yard and garden. We set them way too close together. We put them about 10 feet apart with the rows about 10 feet apart. They grow together pretty fast and all the limbs die where they are against each other. To have live limbs all around, they need to be abour 40 feet apart. Also when they were about 10 feet tall a couple of them started to get brown and looked like they were dying. Our state ag college told me they were dying of old age. They were about 5 years old. No wonder they call it P.U.
    After a soil test I was told the ph was too high and to put about 2 pounds of sulfur per 100 sq feet. It worked wonders.

5. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We order trees every year from the MO Conservation Dept too! I should have a forest by now....but don't! It's hard to find those little guys after they are planted...even though we tag them. We try to add hardwood trees to our property lines...just on the outside edge of our timber. Last year I ordered the 2yr old large nut trees...pecan & walnut and some persimmon too! They all are looking great. I think the rainy summer helped. Now if we can just keep the cows from standing on them! I've ordered more of the larger nut trees to ship in the early spring...thinking about ordering some oak trees...but not sure which ones will grow the quickest to produce those acorns the deer and turkey love so much :)

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Was just checking on the trees in OK. The Ag dept handles them. You have to order in batches of 50. I'm prolly going to be too late in moving to get them this year. Maybe next yr. I particularly want some lob lolly pines, black walnut, native pecan and redbuds, and mulberry.