Got my Ronco Rotisserie - What next?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SteveD(TX), Dec 26, 2006.

1. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I do most of the cooking in our house, and have been telling the wife how we need to get one. Kept reminding her: SET IT, AND FORGET IT! So, Santa brought me the big double one just to shut me up. Now I need some tried and true recipes, tips on using and cleaning it, etc.. There's just the two of us at home. Thanks.

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, we got ours too. We tried steak using one of the baskets last night. They tasted good but weren't seared enough and they looked grayish. Tomorrow I'm making bratwurst in it and maybe Friday we'll have a whole chicken or maybe salmon.

3. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

We gave ours away. Had a ton of accessories with it as well. You can find them almost weekly on craigslist here.

1. Be very careful with these things as the exterior temperature can get very, very hot. Most important if you have children in and around the kitchen.

2. If/when it starts the squeaking/screeching during rotation, don't panic. Just add a drop of oil on the gear mechanism and that will quite it down. Eventually the oil will burn off and you will have to re-apply.

4. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

I LOVE the ronco rotissorie. There is a secret that the booklet doesn't tell you about. If you find that the outside of your meat (ie. thick chicken breasts) starts to burn before the inside gets done enough, you just turn off the heat part and let it rotate minus the heat. For example it takes about 1 hour to cook chicken breasts. After the chicken starts to brown, I turn the heat off and just let it rotate, for about five minutes, then i turn the heat back on. I do this like two or three times during the hour it takes to cook the chicken.

I've done prime rib in it and its wonderfull. we cook whole chickens, but had a hard time with a whole turkey. We just couldnt get its' weight centered correctly . We have cooked turkey breasts and they turn out wonderful.

I have cooked steaks in it but still prefer them BBQ'd.

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I have a different brand smaller roterissery, and love a whole chicken in it.

I will baste it with a ginger sauce, or just plain. My worse thing is, I start eating on it before I get it off the spit on the plate.... wonderful.

Will have to go do a chicken soon.

Angie

6. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Cleaning is a breeze with them. We just soak the bottom tray and the baskets, etc in the sink with hot water and Dawn detergent while we eat dinner. After dinner they wash up and look just like new. If you let them get crusty, then shoot them with "Scrubby Bubbles" spray cleaner. (.99c at Dollar General). The grease just melts off them.

Also if they start squeaking a lot, before you oil it, make sure that whatever you're cooking is "centered" correctly. If you're cooking something heavy you might find that moving it an inch or two will stop the sqeak.

And as the other person said, they do get hot. Be sure you remove that loaf of bread that you laid on top. We have ours next to the fridge and we pull it out from the wall when we use it, then slide it back

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

OK Steve,Ive got THE chicken recipe for you.You need a meat injector,one of the big 20-30 cc syringes with the big needle.

Get an 8 oz bottle of Catalina dressing.Inject the bird into the meat in the breast and thighs with about 1 half or 2 thirds of the dressing.I give about 15-20 cc's per injection.You can also do sub skin injections too if you like,I do some of that too.

Then while cooking,baste it with the remainder using a brush.Between basting's wait for it to dry onto the skin.I cook mine purposefully until the skin starts to blacken,but not charcoal.

You will get a very well cooked bird that is still quite moist thanks to the dressing.Now when you cut it,it might look uncooked because of the pink dressing,but since you've blackened it rest assured its done.

I love that recipe.

Now I dont have a Ronco,I have a farberware rotisserie,but Im guessing the results will be the same pretty much.

This makes a mighty fine tasty bird.Pretty too.

BooBoo

8. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

We used to line our bottom tray with tinfoil and replace the foil after a few uses, that would keep the tray clean.

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Boo, I plan to try your recipe first, probably this weekend after we finally finish up the Christmas leftovers! I think for New Year's Eve, we might do a rib roast since prime rib is a favorite of ours.

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

The bratwurst turned out great.

Today we had salmon and it was very good.

11. Daddymem

Daddymem Well-Known Member

Prime rib is great. Sausages are great. Whole chicken is great. Pork chops with Durkee's "Grill Creations Chicken and Rib Rub" is great. Steak with Mixed up Salt is great. Potato and sweet potato wedges with mixed up salt is great. Could go on an on, we use ours at least once a week.