Got my PVC pipe, can I use it for more than minerals?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Dec 11, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I bought my PVC pipe today to make my mineral feeder. Has anyone tried to use the same thing for baking soda and/or alfalfa pellets? Do you see any reason why it wouldn't work? I don't mind buying the supplies but would hate to spend all that money for no good reason. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Baking soda sure why not...Now alfalfa pellets on the other hand would be gobbled up like lighting at my homestead. The darn thing would always be empty. But that's here!!! I continue to mix the pellets with some grain in the morning and evening feeds. I will send you a picture of my PVC mineral feeder if I can find it...I'm sure your building the same thing. Enjoy the day.

3. topside1

Found it, I have two of these around my place, love um...

[​IMG]

4. SDjulieinSC

I'm thinking that I might not keep the pellets as "free feed" but it seems like they don't always clean up and they are wasting alot of feed. I figured I'd just dump their twice daily ration down the shoot and let them eat at their leisure. I only have 2 goats so they could each have their own feeder, yhea right, they both want what is in the other pan even though it's exactly the same!!
    Photos look like what I plan to make..........at least I hope thats what they turn out like!!!

THANKS!

5. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for sharing the picks Tennessee John--i've seen them advert. before but never real good picks. what size pipe do you use? i'd love to make some as my goats always seem to poop and pee in the feeders that i put their minerals in. how much trouble getting them to eat out of these? thanks again

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have the same feeders things that I made for my goats. I have the mineral feeders all over the barn with different things including baking soda, I just used a smaller PVC pipe for the soda.
    I used a 4" pipe, for the minerals and a 3" for the soda. The good thing about these is you can make them as tall or short as you want them to be.
    The trouble I have with mine is, those darn goats like to rub against them and it pulls them off the walls, or they stand in them.

7. mare

thanks Sweetgoats

8. topside1

Mare, hang your newly made feeders in the corners of your barn, it will prevent rubbing or whatever goats do best. I guess by now you realize every you own has to be built goat proof, if not they surely will find ways to break it...Build them yourself and save $$$.

9. mare

thanks for the tips

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, that's not what I was thinking of as a PVC feeder. I had a picture in my mind of the split in half length-wise "trough" type feeder. This looks like something I could make really easily, and easier to keep clean, too. Thanks for the pic, TJohn! I printed it out to refer to when I build mine. :)

11. dap

dap lilsparrow

I just made one myself last week and put it out. My doe was already eating the minerals out of it while I was hanging it up! :dance:

12. SDjulieinSC

If I can make one ANYONE can make one!
    Mine went together quite nicely last night. Now I just need to get someone to keep them from climbing all over me while I install them!

13. topside1

For a quick install, go to a hardware store and purchase a metal conduit strap that fits around your new mineral feeder. Use the conduit strap and a lag bolt and attach it to your barn wall. I also use a PVC pipe cut in half for feeding grains. If anyone needs a photo of the half pipe feeder and how it's attached, just ask.

14. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I do have 2 for alfalfa pellets, Because I dont have enough holes for that many heads in the 8 foot feeder.Works great and they dont fight I also have one for baking soda, it holds 4 boxes at a time.sometimes I have to help it feed down.I just check and push it with my hand.Wet tounges makes it stick inside.

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

For pellets, I have a piece of pvc gutter nailed along the wall. A dozen goats feed from it (a 12' section of regular gutter holds a 5 gallon pail of alfalfa pellets) and it hasn't been torn down yet.

16. mare

i've seen 10" pvc pipe cut in half and caps (cut in 1/2) put on the end and concrete blocks, used for feeders, it seemed to work real good. the goats ate thru a cattle panel---so no goats jumpin ya trying to get the grain.

17. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Hey DocM - what is pvc gutter? I haven't heard of it - if it is rain gutter, then that's why. lol Don't see much of that around here. I'd love to see a photo.

Niki

18. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Plastic rain gutter, yeah, ha, I bet your local home depot has it anyway, for that once a year rainfall. I bought it up at a garage sale for a buck each 12' length, then had to find uses for it... slipped in between the holes in a couple of cinder blocks works great too. It gives where the pvc pipe is too rigid.

19. topside1

Here are the feeder photos in case anyone wants to make one. Notice the 2x4 above the feeder. This is mounted to prevent goats from eating from the wrong side...Works great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]